time for breakdown renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My renewal quote has come around 124 for breakdown cover (including breakdown at home, recovery to any destination, car hire and or accommodation)

used a money comparison site and got covers ranging from 31 - 143..obviously looking for cheapest what do people recommend as good breakdown providers..

Can i list names from whom i have got quotes here?

Sponsored Links
I have been with the AA for over 50 years and comparing their cover with the other major players I have come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for, so I have stuck with them. Their response times have improved considerably in the last few years.

Peter

I've been with the AA for 20 years and in that time I have called them out 4 times. Last year it cost me £150 and when I got my renewal this year it had gone up to £220. When I phoned them they said it was because I got a discount last year. I told them that I could get cover for £122 and I was leaving them. All of a sudden they could give me an extra discount and match the other company. What I was annoyed about was the fact they didn't offer me the discounted rate first.

So what I will do now is wait until my membership has run out and then only carry the AA phone number, if I break down then I will join on the phone.

Andy

I'm with the AA too and I never pay the full renewal premium. I phone them up and ask for a better price. Guess what, they've always given me a reduction. :)

Sponsored Links
i allways get mine with my car insurance worked out cheaper for me that way.

Me too!
Insurance quote, online, including European Breakdown cover was cheaper than renewal with existing insurer.
Queried with existing insurer, renewal quote reduced, including breakdown cover, but still couldn't match online quote.

Me too!
Insurance quote, online, including European Breakdown cover was cheaper than renewal with existing insurer.
Queried with existing insurer, renewal quote reduced, including breakdown cover, but still couldn't match online quote.

yep same old story,had this with more than,ended up staying with them.but went as a new customer.loyalty means sod all nowdays.

So what I will do now is wait until my membership has run out and then only carry the AA phone number, if I break down then I will join on the phone.

Andy

If you ring the AA when you have broken down, you will be charged the renewal fee plus a surcharge. Remember, you may get a cheaper quote for your breakdown cover, but do they have the diagnostic equipment, the expertise and training, or the spare parts ?. In my experience - no. Better to stick with one of the bigger ones, even if it does cost a little more. In common with everything you pay for, the company will be happy for you to keep paying a high premium unless you challenge them about the discounts they're offering for new customers.

its really peace of mind at the end of the day,
a collegue recently broke down on his way to work,he didnt have breakdown cover so phoned a garage he uses for servicing,they towed him in,new alternator required think the bill was just under 400 quid.

he said that in 20 years this is only the 2nd time a vechile has failed him.
and he worked out it had saved him money.

me id rather haveb/down cover coz knowing my luck id breakdown at 2 am on a rainy night.

Sponsored Links
Back