Time for new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ferroli combi installed about 15 years ago at least.
The boiler looses water after the central heating is switched off not before and continues to loose water as long as the radiators are warm, after system goes cold it retains its pressure, (recently it will loose some pressure sometimes while heating is on but it never used to), pressure release valve been replaced i think but did no good whatsoever?
also recently water hot water will not come on unless heating is on at the same time?
any ideas?
new boiler?
thanks

Sponsored Links
get someone in who knows what they are doing first

I like the old ferroli I do and it sounds to me that you have a sticky diverter valve and and depressurized expansion vessel.

:)

thanks for the reply, will look into what you say.
water does drip out of the outside pipe while the heating is on.

thats the pressure relief valve opening cos yoyur expansion vessel aint doing wot it should

what does the pressure guage read while its doint it?

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
thats the pressure relief valve opening cos yoyur expansion vessel aint doing wot it should

what does the pressure guage read while its doint it?

It gets up to about 3.5 BAR possibly a bit further and sometimes the needle in the gauge vibrates like crazy and i can hear it in the radiators as well, have to knock the heating off quickly for 2 secs then it is ok to put back on again.

Yup..sounds like you got no pressure in the expansion vessel so it blows it out the overflow instead.

Alfredo

just been talking to a corgi, he did not think that they could be re pressurized, he thought that after factory set, valve was sealed and not serviceable anymore.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

and he quoted you for a new one :rolleyes:

jeez ive got the wrong customers (or i tell them toooo much) :D

I am sure I have pumped a few up in my time, try another "corgi" as I think that one is "barking" up the wrong tree

see what I did there Corgi as in a dog eh?? oh forget it

Repressurising is a simple job but it does have to be done properly.

There are probably some suggestions in the FAQ section.

I gave some more detailed info for somebody on here a couple of weeks ago.

Tony

located expansion vessel, looks easy enough job.
Another problem had for a while,

I get a leak every so often, did not know where from until now,

It leaks from the automatic air vent on top of the Air separator
???

there should be a cap on th air vent, screw it up and that should sort the leak out :)

Thanks for the info.
will screw a cap onto air vent.
pumped up the expansion vessel to 1 BAR, all seems well at the mo.

one problem still remains though!

no hot water unless I turn heating on.
water runs cold, put heating on water runs hot.

boiler appears to be keeping pressure, nice one.
Just need to sort the other problem out now, no hot water unless the heating is on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back