TIME LAG SWITCHES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody installed any vacuum/electronic time lag switches that are reliable? I recently installed some of the elkay columbos range of switches of the vacuum type and have had lots of problems with them sticking . I also have been advised to stay away from the elkay electronic range . Is there many other makes which offer a better build quality ?
Any advise would be greatly recieved.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is what you mean but we have a PIR type light senor in our wetroom. It sits where the pull cord used to be in the ceiling. Walk in lights and fan come on leave and 2 mins later it all goes off.

Did it because I hate pull cords!!!!

Been in about 18 months now and works fine. Got it from screwfix for about £30 i think. May parents have the same one and their's has been in about 30 months now with no problems.

one of these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101495&ts=77648&id=10794

Sorry price gone up since I did ours.

Rob

cajsparky said:
Has anybody installed any vacuum/electronic time lag switches that are reliable? I recently installed some of the elkay columbos range of switches of the vacuum type and have had lots of problems with them sticking . I also have been advised to stay away from the elkay electronic range . Is there many other makes which offer a better build quality ?
Any advise would be greatly recieved.

I presume this is for a stairwell in a communal block, that being the case have to considered photocell/PIR activation of the lights..

If it's dark enough the photocell aloows the PIR's to act as switches and activate the lights.

The good thing about this is you can split the landings into zones using different contactors and the only lights activated are those required for the section being used.

This is actually quite efficient if coupled with flourescent lighting, and the installation costs will be gleaned back over a period of time..this period will depend on the size of the installation and the amount of usage recieved.

Most communal installations are done this way now due to the cost effectiveness of initial installation on a new build or during a refurb' after market fitting, so to speak, may push the cost higher, but if it is only a small block then it may still be cost effective if done correctly.

If you are going to use PIR's, use the correct ones! Not ones for use n your garden for your flood lights - they are called occupency sensors, and do not require it to be dark, unless you tell them to.

The electronic time switches are ok - all electronics seem to fail at some point though.

The good old columbus time lag is comming to an end.....

Sponsored Links
i'd consider time lag switches on lights and particualrly stair lights to be dangerous. if someone comes in finds the light already on and then suddenly the light goes off when they are halfway up the stairs its not a good thing particularlly if they are elderly/infirm.

It is becommin increasingly popular to install two circuits. One that is controlled by a timer which puts lights on to provide overall illumination - not OTT, just enough to see.

You then have the second circuit operated by time lag switches.

My local council specs maintained emergency fittings to be installed where time lag switching is used.

The type I fitted can be set to work in daylight, due to the bathroom blinds and frosted glass the room is not bright even during the day so the light comes on.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back