time to lay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well ive been looking at the laminate wooden fllooring for a month in my daughters bedroom and im off next week so i better get it done :!:

is it best to hire/buy a saw to cut the planks :?: , ive got a jig saw but theres no way i could cut a perfect line with it

i bought some spacers to go round the edges but can i do without them and get a refund because the guy who layed my lounge flooring ( from J lewis ) didnt use any ( i took up the skirting and used new as i am with her bedroom )

thanks fo reading and replying P M

Sponsored Links
Place the boards upside down when using a jig-saw and a fine blade, so the melamine (and paper copy of wood) doesn't 'splinter'/damage.

Up to you to use or not use spacers. When not using them make sure you still have an epxansiongap when you've finished ;)

i cant get my head around it.. you just lay them and they dont move about :eek: is it that easy :?: or whats the worst senario that could happen :confused:

Worst case scenario? Laying the boards and not keeping on eye out for your expansion gap.
And: laying the floor using PVAC glue for the T&G (if not a click-system), walking over the newly laid floor and 'opening' the boards. Then having a tea break to find the glue has settled and leaving gaps between the boards.

Easy? No, it's not difficult :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
WYL, im trying to cure all the creaks in the bedroom but with not much luck at the moment ! it looks like 2 ft square chipboard and not your usual floorboards, ive been screwing loads of screws in but not alot of diference

errr what you reckon miracle worker :LOL:

Not sure I understand the measurements correctly: the underfloor of the bedroom has several types of materials? (2 feet square would make it a rather small bedroom ;)) and part of it is chipboard that creaks?
Now, laminate flooring isn't very heavy, so I doubt if that with sound-insulation would spread the weight of someone walking on the floor sufficiently to stop the creaking, but you'll never know.
On the other hand: how much time is spent in the bedroom walking around? Otherwise you will have to sort the creaking problem first by perhaps lifting the chipboard to see if anything else is wrong.

Some 'easy' weekend job you have ;)

thanks for that, they are about 2 ft and 7 ft long, anyway like you said she dont spend alot of time walking about so may have to put up with it.

WYL.. done and dusted missus couldnt pick holes in it so i must have done a good job... think ill try my hand in roof tiling next :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back