time to renounce religion..

I

imamartian

–verb (used with object)
1. to give up or put aside voluntarily: to renounce worldly pleasures.
2. to give up by formal declaration: to renounce a claim.
3. to repudiate; disown: to renounce one's son.

i don't say this lightly, but is is time...?

Religion should be a personal feeling.... like a penchant for Max Bygraves, or a need to arrange flowers !!

A nation shouldn't be defined by a religious opinion, more by their moral stance.....

lets start by playing down holidays and dates.... and redifining nations

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Never been one for banning......BUT
A personal choice to 'believe' should be just that.

This should be celebrated in the privacy of your own home, with a congregation of no more than 4 people.
Anyone found preaching outside these guidelines should be met with 50 lashes at the very least.

LastMagicBean.........Working for a safer world. ;)

–verb (used with object)
1. to give up or put aside voluntarily: to renounce worldly pleasures.
2. to give up by formal declaration: to renounce a claim.
3. to repudiate; disown: to renounce one's son.

i don't say this lightly, but is is time...?

Religion should be a personal feeling.... like a penchant for Max Bygraves, or a need to arrange flowers !!

A nation shouldn't be defined by a religious opinion, more by their moral stance.....

lets start by playing down holidays and dates.... and redifining nations
Interesting points here immy,but where do you start and end.Couldn't agree more about personal feelings towards religion but whether any one likes it or not, every waking hour of the day is linked to religion,for instance I was born in 1957 thats 1957 years after the birth of christ.So its not just individuals or nations the entire world is governed by a reference point which is the birth of christ.

No one can give a difinative date of Christs birth, it's pure conjecture.

Wotan

But somebody somewhere and somehow decided when it was to produce this reference point,which Anno Domini translated to "in the year of the/our lord".

Worked in Oxford for 6 months in 1999. Used to frequent a pub called the Plough, and have a drink with this German guy who lectured in Physics.
This guy was a devout Catholic. Could'nt get my head round how he could recocile his vocation with his blind faith

oompah said:
But somebody somewhere and somehow decided when it was to produce this reference point

Given that we have to have a reference point for the calendar, what else might we use? A physicist might choose the moment the Sun ignited, except that we don't really know when it happened. Also, the dates would be inconveniently long:

"What year is it?"

"4,503,178,303 - I think. :confused: :confused: :confused: "

For a more convenient start point, and one which doesn't favour any particular religion, I read somewhere that there was a near coincidence of Venus and Jupiter around about 0AD/BC. If it's true, astronomers ought to be able to pin it down with sufficient accuracy to establish a new, secular, year zero. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Edit:

snugib said:
Could'nt get my head round how he could recocile his vocation with his blind faith

Churches have shifted their position over the centuries as the scientific evidence has mounted up. For example, we now know, or think we know, that the Earth is a lot older than the Bible implies and that it isn't sitting in the middle of a big sphere with stars painted on it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Those who like to think that a supernatural entity created the entire universe do not have to abandon their faith. They simply fall back on the unassailable argument that this entity they call God chose to hide its true origins. :cool: :cool: :cool:

For a more convenient start point, and one which doesn't favour any particular religion, I read somewhere that there was a near coincidence of Venus and Jupiter around about 0AD/BC. If it's true, astronomers ought to be able to pin it down with sufficient accuracy to establish a new, secular, year zero. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Maybe this was how it was done and religion got in the way to cloud the issue.

Space cat";p="1733439 said:
oompah said:
snugib said:
Could'nt get my head round how he could recocile his vocation with his blind faith

Churches have shifted their position over the centuries as the scientific evidence has mounted up. For example, we now know, or think we know, that the Earth is a lot older than the Bible implies and that it isn't sitting in the middle of a big sphere with stars painted on it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Those who like to think that a supernatural entity created the entire universe do not have to abandon their faith. They simply fall back on the unassailable argument that this entity they call God chose to hide its true origins. :cool: :cool: :cool:
He surely works in mysterious ways.

Me, I'm agnostic! Not sure whether I should follow the shoe or the gourd :LOL:

Those who like to think that a supernatural entity created the entire universe do not have to abandon their faith. They simply fall back on the unassailable argument that this entity they call God chose to hide its true origins.
This is possibly where science and the bible agree on the creation,science says possibly a big bang,something from nothing?the bible says in the beginning god created the heavens and earth,something from nothing. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back