Time to scrap Trident.

Germany survive without nukes. So why do we need them?

Sponsored Links
Leaving America out of the equation for the moment (I think they probably would defend us, but I couldn't guarantee it) I have every confidence that Russia wouldn't attack the UK with nuclear weapons. Why?

Envisage a scenario where Russia decided to attack us, but not America (that would be suicide for them). They have far more nuclear weapons than us, but would keep many (the majority) in reserve in case America joined in, or rather to deter them from doing so.

Despite that, I'm sure they would still have sufficient assigned to us to lay waste to Britain which, of course, is only a small island. (They might take out Northern Ireland too, but that's another story!). Our independent nuclear deterrent couldn't possibly do the same to Russia, but could obliterate Moscow.

Would they be willing to sacrifice Moscow in order to completely destroy Britain?

That's nuclear deterrent.

Guess you should always add into the mix that the IRA has never been classed as a terrorist group in the USA. Special relationship... my arse!

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links

No one remember the Berlin wall then?

Germany spent that time half owned by Russia (nuclear country).

Then after the fall, the other half came under the protection of Nato, Germany neighbours France and ourselves, two nuclear countries.

It didnt survive without nukes, half of it survived because of them, the other half was owned by Russia (by proxy) because of them.

Dunno why I bother replying to joe-90, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Your wrong on you first statement London nor any other major western city would be nuked!! A famous American said talk soft but carry a big stick, that's why Trident and other Allied subs cruise the sea's, Their our big stick,

Your wrong on your 1st statement no major allied city would be nuked!! a famous American said, talk soft but carry a big stick, that's why Trident and others cruise the sea's. And what part of the battle of Britain did you live through to make you go soft on having such a deterrent? also catch up on your history re; Britain and the USA and you might understand more about the feelings of many Americans towards the Brits during the 1930's. You mention terrorists!! we have to ask what would drive young people to wrap themselves with explosives and kill themselves along with others, what has changed? many of the races involved had previously been tolerant of others and their religion, was the blue touch paper lit by Israel many years ago!!

Then after the fall, the other half came under the protection of Nato, Germany neighbours France and ourselves, two nuclear countries.

It didnt survive without nukes, half of it survived because of them, the other half was owned by Russia (by proxy) because of them.

Exactly what would happen in Scotland gained its independence (from us, not from the EU, though!) and demanded the removal of all nuclear weapons from its soil.

They'd cower behind us for protection!

Germany, of course, is different. As far as I know, they were prohibited from obtaining any nuclear weapons, and probably still are.

I read a novel called 'Wild Fire' by Nelson Demille which was basically about the US nuking one of it's own cities so that that they could 'legitimately' retaliate by nuking mecca, the Aswan dam and lots of other important targets. The question was whether to nuke San Francisco or L.A. I won't say what the answer was in case anyone reads it.

Forget ancient history. It's the now we are talking about. This coming election. They live quite happily without them as do other EU countries. II can think of at least three. How many can you think of Airhead?

Sponsored Links
Back