Timed Extractor Fan wiring problem - Timer wont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed an TIMED Extractor fan into the bathroom, I hahve connected the L and N up into the loft and into the light fitting via a terminal block, on trying this the fan didnt work.

However i then connected a Perm Live up into the loft and into the terminal block and it works on, when i turn the light switch on the fan comes on, when its off its off, now here is the problem, it's a timed extractor fan which is set to be on for 15 minutes, however the timer is not kicking in for some reason.

Please can you advise me on how i can get the timer part working on the fan, or is the fan faulty? also is a fused switch really needed, if so with the wiring setup i have can someone advise me what i do about that.

We realy need the fan on after the light has gone off so all the steam from the shower is out of the bathroom.

Please e-mail me at [email protected], I have spent 2 full weekends on this and still no joy, it might be a simple thing that i have doine wrong, the only diagram in the leaflet with the fan is that to connect perm live, live and netural which i have done, its just the timer part i am stuck with please can someone help? - the make off this fan is a ADDVENT, and is not on a pullcord

Sponsored Links
If you are absolutelysure that you have connected the permanent live of the fan to a permanent live supply, and you have correctly adjusted any control on the fan that determines the length of the delay, then the fan must be faulty.

Yes i have made sure, inside there is P live, Live and Netural, at first i only connected the live and netural which didnt make the fan come on at all, then when looking again I connected another red wire to the red P Live feed in the loft.

This got the fan to work when the light was on, however when the light is off the fan goes off and the timer still does not work.

do you think there is a jumper switch in the extractor to get the timer to work? i have looked at the manual/leaflet and there is nothing in there that states anything to do with a jumper is does not go in depth at all regarding this fan. just different ways for different models of fans.

I bought the fan on friday, however i have siliconed the unit into place so i might have to take it from the wall and box it back up

is there anything i should look for on the fan, like a jumper setting or anything?

again i have made sure that it is connected to a P Live, do you think it wll have to be looped? or anything else i should look for

Sponsored Links
yes i said 2 full weekends not on the fan, i meant in total i.e making the hole feeding through th vent and cementing in etc etc

is it possible that you have the permanent and switched lives back to front??? (i.e perm in the switched terminal and switched in the perm)

That would result in the symptoms you describe, as would connecting them both to a switched live.

Perhaps try testing them with a test lamp or neon screwdriver assuming you don't have a multimeter.

could i have our e-mail address or send me a e-mail so i can reply as i am at work at the moment rather than posting on here then i can tell you how its setup or even maybe take some pictures of the setup that way you will see a picture of the wiring in the fan and also in the loft.

when you said i might have them crossed, in the loft i have wired it to the light fitting which was from the ceiling a brown and a blue, which i connected from the fan the black and the red, on doing that the fan didnt work at all, however when putting up a single red wire to the 3rd terminal block which just had a red wire in which didnt come from the light but was on the other side of the terminal block which was the P live (well i thought it was) as when i connected this the fan started working when i flicked the light switch on and off.

so when the fan wasnt working when i connected the red and black wires i used from the fan and connected to the light fitting that had brown and blue, do you think that the red from that connection should have gone into the single Red P live in the terminal block, and the single red wire i fed up last to get the fan to come on should have gone with the other wires first?

other words= first attempt black and red fed up into loft and attached to brown and blue, fan didnt work

2nd attempt another red wire which was P Live was fed up and attached to the P live feed of the terminal block and fan worked.

do you think i have got something wrong, if so which end to i need to alter, as in the fan itself only has Perm Live, Live and Netural

Anything I can change would be great, also before i mess about i dont want to blow the fan cost me £40 missus wont be pleased!!!

someone said that somehow its cutting out the timer and needs sorting
please e-mail me at [email protected] as it would be quicker and send you pics of the setup if needed - cheers for you time on this just want the thing working and maybe i will be posting thanks you helped me get it to work rather than moaning on and on about it lol

which part do you think i have switched wrong, in the loft or in the fan itself?, and if i tried switching the wires around i wouldnt blow anything would i by trying this? - please advise as i wont touch anything until i know - as you can see this is my first electrical wiring job i have done, i have wired a plug before but as to know what wires go where i am useless but i was told what wires to go from brown and blue and what wires from the fan go into them

Panic Over, I gt the feed wrong, switch live and Perminant live wrong way - all working!!!

JPBOLDY said:
Panic Over, I gt the feed wrong, switch live and Perminant live wrong way - all working!!!

ban-all-sheds said:
If you are absolutelysure that you have connected the permanent live of the fan to a permanent live supply........

Well, they're both lives, Ban. What does it matter which way round they are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back