Timer On Ring Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a timer on my upstairs ring circuit so all the upstairs sockets turn off at a set time as the kids go to sleep leaving there tv's, computers, playstation etc... on. Can this be done, if so, how?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it can, but it wouldn't be cheap and it wouldn't be easy, as you'd need to find, and find a way to fit, a timer rated at 32A at the origin of the ring in the CU.

Or you could power all of those items from multi-gang socket strips plugged into plug-in timers in sockets.

Bish-bosh, no wiring, job done in a few minutes.

You could use power strips plugged into remote control sockets - and keep the remote.

But it probably won't take them too long to work out how to bypass it.

I need to make it non adjustable so kids can't tamper so plug-in timers are not suitable. Can a lower rated timer be placed on a separate 6A braker and a 50A contactor on the ring with the timer controlling the contactor, or is that not possible?

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just each your children to DO AS THEY ARE TOLD! It's called discipline and and it's GOOD FOR THEM.

If they don't do as they are told, you punish them - take the computer game away for a week.

I need to make it non adjustable so kids can't tamper so plug-in timers are not suitable. Can a lower rated timer be placed on a separate 6A braker and a 50A contactor on the ring with the timer controlling the contactor, or is that not possible?

Yes, that's possible.

But what if they leave a hairdryer or something switched on, it's turned off at the timer, and then comes on again when the timer resets, but no-one notices, and the house burns down?

I want to put a timer on my upstairs ring circuit so all the upstairs sockets turn off at a set time as the kids go to sleep leaving there tv's, computers, playstation etc... on. Can this be done, if so, how?

Many thanks

Sounds like a dopey idea.

Also sounds like your home has a discipline problem.

I presume electric alarm clocks still have a battery back-up facility.

Do you not have an alarm clock or a phone charger or anything like that that you have plugged in on a night time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back