Timeswitch with daylight savings to Control Outside Lamposts

Fitted one of these a couple of weeks ago. Works like a charm.http://www.grasslin-controls.co.uk/talento751-752pro.html
Yep, the instructions would certainly seem to indicate that it could be configured to do exactly what the OP wants - ON at sunrise and OFF at midnight, with automatic GMT/BST changing. If the 'poorly accessible location' is outdoors, it would obviously need an enclosure of suitable IP rating. I can't say that I'm a lover of semiconductor switches/relays (which is what this seems to use), but I guess that's just me!

How much?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
£70.54 plus VAT.

It works great and is really easy to program, may be best to run it in conjunction with a contactor though, not sure what load it goes up to, only switching 6 little CFL's in my case.

£70.54 plus VAT. It works great and is really easy to program, may be best to run it in conjunction with a contactor though, not sure what load it goes up to, only switching 6 little CFL's in my case.
It claims to be able to cope with 16A resistive loads and 10A inductive ones (PF=0.6), so that should be more than enough!

It only really makes sense to use something sophisticated (and fairly costly) like this if it can be put (in a suitable enclosure) in the same 'poorly accessible' place as the present timeswitch. If one puts a contactor there (in place of current timeswitch), then the control of that contactor could presumably from some remote (potentially easily accessible) place - in which case a simple (cheap) timeswitch (very probably the present one, hence zero cost), maybe plus a photocell, would probably satisfy the OP's requirements.

Kind Regards, John

FWIW the local council where I live have a "clever" timeswitch on the streetlights which are switched off at midnight and back on at 0500 or whatever. When the clocks went back at the end of October, the street lights were going off anything from 21:30 to 02:00 randomly, some off, some on. It took about two weeks to stabilise, and whether or not "intervention" was required I do not know.

I suspect these smart switches have sunrise/sunset times programmed in, with twilight adjustment, plus detail of the clock changes. On a daily basis, the time of twilight is sensed and compared to the database. From that, midnight is calculated. Thus the lights go on and off at the correct times. Isn't theory wonderful! Pity it does not always work in practice!

edit: Failed to notice date of original posting! Memo to self. Look next time

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back