Timing Belt - 2016 on 2.0 Dispatch/Expert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I need to replace the timing belt on a 2.0 Peugeot Expert 2017 coming up to 60k miles. I have done belts before but not on this series of engine - my question is regarding the timing of the crankshaft and what tools I need to buy. Crank timing seems to be set by a strategically-shaped pin that fits through a hole in the bellhousing - so I need one of those. Anything else or can it be blagged with drill bits and bolts?
Does the fuel pump need to be set up? I know it is Common Rail but when I did a 2.0 VW CR I had to pin the fuel pump as well.
Very little info about timing belt replacement on the 2016 on 2.0 Dispatch/Expert which is surprising given how many are on the road. It's a preventative maintenance exercise to replace the fragile water pump.
Can only find details of the 1.6 online and that looks different.
Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about your engine, but a useful technique i saw on YT was to cut your existing cam-belt in half lengthwise so that it is still on the gears and maintains all timings but leaves space to push the new belt over the teeth and push the old one off. This should ensure that you maintain all settings.

I know nothing about your engine, but a useful technique i saw on YT was to cut your existing cam-belt in half lengthwise so that it is still on the gears and maintains all timings but leaves space to push the new belt over the teeth and push the old one off. This should ensure that you maintain all settings.
You can’t do that with a cam-belt driven water pump if you want to change the pump, as the OP does.

Anything else or can it be blagged with drill bits and bolts?
Pin it up and mark all pulleys with tippex. If I don’t have a specific locking pin, I sometimes use wooden wedges that I cut from a piece of wood to knock between the back of the pulley and the engine to hold things in place when the belt is removed.

Sponsored Links
As above.....I use dabs of touch up paint, and plenty of them!
I like to use spring clothes pegs to keep the new belt in place and I've never had to lock the flywheel. Probably just as well as the cranked rod never goes over the starter in my experience as there are always cables or pipes in the way.
Do find out exactly which engine your van has - it sounds like a DV10 but that's not guaranteed.
Giving the reg number to the motor factor should see you right.
Sometimes, when you buy the belt kit there is a diagram inside to show how things go - and it's very important to figure out how the tensioner works if it's a spring loaded one, often there is a key in the kit.
Your first job is to loosen the crankshaft pulley nut if there is only one central one.......much easier if the pulley has four bolts.
Access is always difficult - that part is guaranteed!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back