Timing belt replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to have my timing belt replaced on a '06 lancer 1.6, it has 60k miles, I change the oil at least once a year, does the timing belt need to be replaced or am I being over cautious?

Sponsored Links
Just looking at Autodata, Mitsubishi seem to recommend belt replacement at 54000 miles....thats for the sohc 4G92 and 4G93 engine - so yes, its about time.
The time allocated is a couple of hours, and looking at the design, the belt isn't particularly stressed.
John :)

Thanks John, what exactly is auto data? I'd be interested to know if it's an interference engine, and would it be possible to change the belt myself as a car enthusiast or is it a job for a mechanic?

Sponsored Links
I've looked into buying the Haynes manual, but there isn't one for a Lancer. The video is helpful, cheers, looks like to big a job to be honest. Mechanic it is. Plus the water pump doesn't need to be changed along with the belt as there seperate thankfully!
Another question, would you bother flushing the engine when changing the oil? I've heard of people using diesel oil to clean the engine?

Autodata produce lots of trade info regarding all aspects of the motor trade (at a price) - things like timing belts and other service data are included.
I wouldn't do a timing belt replacement for my first 'big' car job.....although they are quite straightforward (usually) its a big confidence thing. Japanese vehicles tend to be the easiest to do, often enough!
Regarding the oil change, just have the car serviced according to the manufacturers time intervals and forget about flushing oils or anything else. If you want to do this yourself, get a new sump seal washer and a quality filter, too. If the guts of the engine are particularly foul then an additive made by Forte is the one to go for.....you add this stuff to the oil and run the car for a while before changing it.

John your a legend!
I've been doing the servicing myself and I've been changing the oil regularly, i only heard about the flush recently and thought it was necessary to do with each oil change, but i won't bother if it's not required. Is there any way of visually inspecting the engine to make sure a flush is not required?
I rang a mechanic and he's offering to change the belt for 330euro, the belt kit (tensioners, pulleys) is 100euro in itself, does this price seem reasonable? Never had to go to a mechanic before so I'm sceptical about being ripped off!

Petrol engines can go huge mileages without an oil change, but really the secret is in the stuff that comes out....for example, on a good condition petrol engine with the oil changed at 6k, the oil should be still transparent with some of the original golden colour still visible.
I'd always use the oil specification recommended by the manufacturer, but makers such as Millers and Comma produce excellent products.
As for the cost to change the belt, all I can really say is to go for a quality kit such as Gates, which will have tensioners etc included as required.
Again according to Autodata, the time allocated is nearly 3 hours so the price depends on your local rate.
At the same time, replace the auxiliary belts for the PAS, alternator or whatever else is driven by them.

Thanks John, when i spoke with the mechanic he mentioned having to change a couple of other belts alright, power steering and an alternator belt? Does that sound right? So I'm assuming I'm getting a decent quotation. I didn't realise there were so many belts! Best I leave the job to the pro's!
ashwathshetty I don't know enough about car's to help you out, sorry!

The auxiliary belt(s) are driven externally by the crankshaft pulley, and they'll spin things like the PAS pump, A/C compressor, alternator, water pump etc.
Although they are often of the 'multivee' configuration they still need to be replaced (although they do last very well). They may, or may not have a separate tensioner - some are spring loaded, on others the alternator is spring loaded to the same effect.
I've had a couple of dreadful occasions where the auxiliary belt has shredded, and the strands have entered the timing belt cover and whipped that belt off :eek: with catastrophic results!
The auxiliary belt may be referred to as a serpentine belt - same thing.
Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Back