Tiny Black Flies in Kitchen & BathRm - How To Cope With

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Do you have those annoying tiny black flies in your kitchen and bathroom and do you have household pets? If so YOU ARE NOT alone.
I live in NJ and the tiny black flies are everywhere.
This is a suggestion:
#1. Eliminate any FRUIT you have exposed such as in a bowl/counter.
#2. Pour very hot water down ALL your drain(s) followed by some bleach .
Wait a minute or two and rinse again with hot water.
#3. A totally non-toxic pet-friendly temporary solution:
Make LEMON water as follows: take 3-4 fresh lemons and roll them on your kitchen counter to realease the oils. Cut lemons in half and place in small pot with about an inch or two of water. Bring to a boil. Mash the lemons with a potato masher to extract as much lemon juice and oil as you can.
After it cools down , strain the mixture and pour the lemon liquid into a spray bottle. Spray the little black flies directly. (Don't use a stream setting but a spray setting)
Note: This DOES NOT make new flies stop from reappearing BUT it serves to eliminate the ones you have presently flying around and landing on your walls, and ceiling.
Added bonus! makes your kitchen and bathroom smell nice and won;t harm your pets.
4. The flies LOVE white bread. Coat a piece with a little maple syrup, set it down somewhere out of reach of your pet(s) and children.
After awhile throw the flies that are stuck on the bread away.

Sponsored Links
We had the same problem with these things a couple of months ago. We discovered they were attracted to a fruit dish that contained over-ripe bananas. Thanks for the tips you've given. ;)

Sponsored Links
In my post I stated that you use lemon juice. What is more appropriately effective is to use lemongrass oil which you can find in your local health store or elsewhere. Totally safe if you have pets.
TR

I think you are mixing up 2 different flies:

the small orange/ red ones above your fruit bowl are fruit flies

the black ones around your sink are some kind of gnat

personally, I quite like the fruit flies, but I hate the gnats

Sponsored Links
Back