tips before I start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I am planning in the very near future to sand the original floor boards in my front room...before I start does anyone have any tips and suggestions to help the process....anyone had any nightmares and can advise what NOT to do!!

I hear the dust gets everywhere.

thanks for any tips! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Make sure you have all the protective stuff, goggles, dustmask, ear defenders and wearing a cap helps too!

Close the door and seal the edge with tape to prevent the dust exiting the room and contaminating the whole house. Also, open all the windows

Hire an edge sander at the same time for the edges.

Ask the staff at the hire shop to explain how to use the equipment, change sand sheets etc. (they should do this anyway). For example, it may be supplied with an adapter box, which will have an RCD (residual current device) that has to be reset before use.

Don't skimp on the sanding sheets when you hire the equipment (its on sale or return anyway, nothing more frustrating than running out halfway through! and you will innevitably break a few sheets!)

Use a very sharp chisel to scrape the floor in the edges where the edge sander wont reach.

Keep the area free of clutter and use caution around electrical outlets, central heating pipes etc.

When you have finished, drink a pint of milk. (helps to absorb the nasties you WILL ingest - might be an old wifes tale, but at least you'll have nice strong bones!)

Sponsored Links
make sure the sander is kept level and try to do as much of it diagonally as you can. Make sure all nails are punched down and tacks / staples removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back