Tips for complete novice

Sponsored Links
I agree with roughcaster all you do is get a blob of plaster off the floor wet your hands roll the plaster in them stick it on the tip of your trowel and fill your scar, I skimmed my nippers room today just the window wall put cill on stapled my beads on up and down mixing muck up ,(started at 10 and finished at 3) with all the messin' about. But i had second coated and first trowelled and went down stairs and had my lunch and went back up (about an hour later) final trowelled it and it still brought up scum for filling any discrepances, Not that I get any ;)
But the other day it took me 8 hours (On my own) to skim ceiling 3.5m square and 3 walls 3.5x2.4, multi will give you more time than you think!!!!! I usually allow about two and a half hours per wall (Doesn't matter about size) from start to final trowel....

Awe joe; just when I was trying to get someone to be your hun, you’ve gone & spoilt it! :cry: :rolleyes:

I always keep a small gob on my spot board after I clean everything else up just in case I spot the odd problem when I come back (but rare); but it only works while the plaster is in it’s plastic state (there must be technical term for it!). It varies but after that you might as well forget it as it will look awful & it’s easer to spot fill later!

Sponsored Links
What he was saying is that when he gets his trowel stuck ( :rolleyes: ) after it's been on there an hour he pulls off a huge trowel sized chunk - then puts it back on again? Ludicrous, ridiculous. He's not talking about minor blemishes that are fixed during the final skim. After an hour on the wall the stuff is changing colour. He's not a plasterer. Sorry, but he just isn't.

What he was saying is that when he gets his trowel stuck ( :rolleyes: ) after it's been on there an hour he pulls off a huge trowel sized chunk - then puts it back on again?.

that's not what he said Joe you better go back and read it again,

I also like to leave a little bit on the edge of my spot board for those odd blemishes.

joe-90 knows absolutely nothing about plastering or the building trade in general.

this i am absolutely convinced.

he adds nothing to any of the forums but merely gleans information or quotes snippets from other experienced tradesmen and women.

he has never added anything original or mentioned any of the idiosyncrasies that are attributed to any of the trades, and that only the experienced would know.

when he does try to - he is wrong.

i am not the only one who knows this either.

We all leave a blob for the blemishes, what he was talking about was getting his trowel stuck and somehow bodging it back on.

Noseall said:

"the trick is to try and re-apply the 'aged' bit of skim that is stuck to the trowel."

Then roughcaster said;"try to get some of the original, one hour old'ish plaster and make good with that. "

Sorry but if you try to get that back on or reconstitute plaster that's gone off it'll only fall off when the decorator rolls over it.

He's not talking about minor blemishes.

Thank you to everyone for your helpful posts. Haven't managed to get my trowel stuck yet but cheers for future ref. Nice one roughcaster for your comment about making myself useful for once...I took it on the chin thats why i've not been on for a bit, the comment was hard to take and took me out for a couple of days ;+) I leave you lot for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose :LOL:

Thank you to everyone for your helpful posts. Haven't managed to get my trowel stuck yet but cheers for future ref. Nice one roughcaster for your comment about making myself useful for once...I took it on the chin thats why i've not been on for a bit, the comment was hard to take and took me out for a couple of days ;+) I leave you lot for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose :LOL:
Nah it'll all go quiet again now & it's not usually like this in plastering. Don’t take any of it personally & do come back again for more advice if you need it. ;)

Erm I just realised, I didn’t actually give any! :rolleyes:

Nowhere in my reply, fool did I say that my trowel got stuck for an hour, and I pulled off a trowel sized chunk of plaster and replaced/restuck it back on the wall with plaster that had set and been reconstituted......read things properly. This is just the usual garbage that joe-90 twists out of a reply......Maybe a trowl/float shouldn't get stuck during use but they can. A tiler shouldn't break a tile, a plumber should be able to connect a pipe without it leaking, etc etc....... This is the same fool who said to me in a post, that jute scrim was obsolete,yet the internet and my local builder centre are full of it This is the same fool who wont respond to questions about cement rendering, roughcasting, tyrolean, floor screeding etc because he cant, he doesn't know. Why would I waste my time replying about all these things in posts if I didn't know my trade you idiot. MULTI FINISH is NOT set solid at one hour. Others have stated that. It has a life of at least one and a half hours approx...Read about it on the bag....... Check back to all my "polite,detailed"replies I have given to people and try to find fault with any them, you wont....... and oh, I worked with a type of plaster years ago that if you had some left over, you could use it the following day. laughable? ridiculous? You wouldn't know what that plaster was and I wont tell you either, but you would say that was impossible and all who used it were chancers or cowboys. You could even trowel it up the following day. I'll put my plastering up against yours anyday, fool, and not only pva and skim, (your war cry). let's see what other plasterers jobs you can do. Maybe Admin could organise it.... I think that this arrogant mouthpiece called joe-90, is really an old menopausal tart called Joan Inety. Either way, a feckin idiot as recognised by most..... Let's go now Trigger,giddy up. clip clop,clip clop.

Roughcaster.

I said that jute tape was virtually obsolete. You said that jute tape was stronger than the fibre glass stuff - which is (naturally enough) completely wrong.

Try mixing some plaster (there's a first for everything) in a bucket and leave it for an hour - then try plastering with it.

No I don't answer questions or Tyrolean - it isn't something I know about.

I think you worked as a builders labourer a few years back and have watched a bit of outdoor work being done - and now you call yourself an 'expert'. You know almost nothing about plastering or you wouldn't talk such nonsense.

[q
uote="roughcaster";p="939049"]If you can't make good a scar/blemish with multi finish one hour into it's life Joe, that's your problem, I can, others would probably agree i'm sure. You certainly can't spread with it, but it is far from set (solid) overall. Setting time for multi finish, one and a half hours,,, approx,

Again "Joan Intie", read the feckin post properly. I said that you cant spread with one hour old multi finish, but it is NOT set,,,,,, and if thin fibre glass mesh tape is stronger than jute scrim, why do they reinforce plaster mouldings and cornices with jute scrim? fool..... :rolleyes: You make all these comments about other people on this site people, whom you don't know,with nothing to back up your claims, except twisting words and phrases to make it suit what you want to believe, a total a**e hole........ Let's go again Trigger, giddy up.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back