Tips for laying patio edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some flat top 150mm high concrete edging to provide a border for my new patio

I’ve currently dug down and ready to put in MOT at 100mm depth

I want to install the edging first but have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to put some compacted MOT down as a base to install the edging? Is an inch depth of compacted MOT suitable for below the edging?

2. Is it best to use concrete to bed them into or is mortar mix okay?

Cheere

Sponsored Links
1. Do I need to put some compacted MOT down as a base to install the edging? Is an inch depth of compacted MOT suitable for below the edging?
Why MOT, you can't get more solid a foundation/support than concrete
2. Is it best to use concrete to bed them into or is mortar mix okay?
You can use mortar but its not as strong and solid as concrete

I read your other thread - there is no need to put an edging in if you are laying on a full mortar bed. A 50mm flat top concrete edging would spoil the look of Indian sandstone paving IMO! If you must have an edging make it stone. But it isn't needed.

You do have an edging to the front. And if you wanted you could butt the slabs up to the concrete gravel board, notching around the posts.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back