TN-S?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will apologies in advance as I have no picture but I'm going to describe my earthing set up.

The main L-N wires terminate before the main fuse in what seems to be some sort of metal block (Almost like a up turned triangle) the earth cable has been fastened below this around the incoming cable.

So I have an earth cable from the consumer unit to an earth block which I believe earth though the cable. Also from the earth block their is two more earth cables that seem to earth the out side of this triangle item one on each side.

Is this TN-S what does it mean to the choice of consumer unit? Sorry been reading another thread.

Now with image

Also the fuse carrier is metal and make 60amp max is this normal? Also a lot of green stuff has stainded the tile below should i worry

Sponsored Links
Lets have a picture, and things can all be sorted from that.

The green stuff sounds odd, most older mains head cables are a sort of SWA with tar, if they over heat tar drips.

Green gunk tends to be older PVC TE which can have reaction that causes green gunk to drip. Such an action tends to be fatal and requires the offending TE to be replaced.

see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:cable_types:green_slime

Sponsored Links
Its strange the has has E7 but never had storage heater ever from what the previous owner told us (we are the second owner)

I'm with British gas and they add both the number up though this is becoming a problem as i'm on a web tariff and it asks for meter readings online but can't accept them due to the complexity of adding two meter reading up

Anyone know if they replace this for free and save the hassel

They should do. Ring BG and ask them to remove the redundant equipment.

Sounds like you are adding the two readings together. I only asked because some people take out storage heaters and never change the tarrif, thus pay over the odds for their daytime electric for no benefit.

Not sure, but if YOU fit your own isolator, they will connect to this, leaving you to connect to your side of it afterwards ;)

Tea and biscuits help (though boil the kettle before the meter man gets there). :LOL:

By the way, they may refuse to connect to two lots of meter tails, as you have - they arent supposed to double up in the meter terminals. Buy a DP henley block, and a length of tails.

Before meter man arrives, fit the isolator in its desired position, and fit a length of tails suitable to reach the meter's intended position. When the meter man arrives, ask him to connect to the isolator only, and leave the existing tails hanging. When he's gone, connect the henley block to the isolator with another length of tails, and connect your existing tails to this. Then turn on the isolator. Tidy up the tails while you have the chance.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Connector_Blocks/index.html

I was a bit worried as the cooker CU is actually pushed into the meter and doesn't seem to fit at all in fact it is cable tied to the other cables.

Anyway back to the man question is this TN-S and if so what dose it mean to your choice of CU

looks like it is TNS, your pic cuts off the important bit
The earth to the supply cable joint.

You possibly read a post about metal cu, and rcd s with TT systems, which you dont appear to have.

The earth is just seems to be wrap around the incoming so guessing its off the armour

So what is the problem with metal clad box

Its strange the has has E7 but never had storage heater ever from what the previous owner told us (we are the second owner)
I've got E7 and never had storage heaters. We use it to run the dishwasher and washing machine at night using plug in timers, also the fridge, two freezers and occasionally some outside lighting are on at night using electricity at 1/3rd of the daytime cost which easily recovers the extra standing charge.

I've got E7 and never had storage heaters. We use it to run the dishwasher and washing machine at night using plug in timers, also the fridge, two freezers and occasionally some outside lighting are on at night using electricity at 1/3rd of the daytime cost which easily recovers the extra standing charge.
The fridge and freezer though, consume no more during the night than they do during the day.

Steve said:
The fridge and freezer though, consume no more during the night than they do during the day.
Aragorn84 said:
arguably less infact, as they're not getting opened and there is a lower ambient temperature..
They probably do use less, but that's irrelevant to the discussion on E7. The appliances will consume an amount of electricity during the night, whatever that amount is is charged at less than 1/3rd of the normal electricity price. If I wasn't on the off peak rate I'd be paying 3 times as much for whatever they used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back