TNS Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of fuse will be fitted inside this Main incoming fuse?

Im afraid in only used to the normal black plastic bs1361 type 2 style fuses and this is a lot diferent :)

And yes I know the the tails out of this fuse is only 6mm and shoudl be 25mm :)

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
BS88 I'd imagine, why not take the cover off and look, it's not likely to be anymore dangerous than having a 6mm cable as your service link :eek:

Hi,
I have found a picture of a similar set up, fingers crossed it is similar to the one I have come across. I will only be able to find out later.
Therefore, can anyone tell me what kind of fuse this is? it appears to be a ceramic fuse with fuse wire used?
As i have said I don't know what style of fuse this is as have never come across one before.
Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

I had to have a look inside the fuse box just for my own curiosity.

the holder had a fuse wire approx 1.5mm dia so i take it that this is 60A. The markings on the side of the fuse holder had 60A written on it, even tho it was difficult to make out as it was part of the cast and not just written on.

So, you learn something every day :), I knew of the old wylex fuses been BS3036 but for some reason did not think this corresponded to all rewirable fuse's.

Another day, another bit of knowledge gained from yourselves.

Thanks again

One thing to check with these is that the max 'breaking' capacity of the fusewire is not exceeded. Had a case recently where the measured PSSC was 6.0kA and the max capacity of the 3036 fuse was stated at 4.0kA.

Have recommended to client that they get DNO to check this out

SB

Be careful if you are prodding about in them cutouts.

The fuse has a habit of welding it's self into the holder, so when you try and pull it out, the back part of the ceramic all goes into pieces.

The fuseholder might have been dropped, so when you try to pull it out, it kind of folds in half and you end up touching the fuse wire.

If you get the fuse out in one bit, there are no shrouds on the main incomming terminal at the bottom of the cutout.

Oh and not to mention they are riddled with asbestos too.

the holder had a fuse wire approx 1.5mm dia so i take it that this is 60A.
Yes, 1.53mm for 60A.

Opening the box and removing the fuse carrier is not a good idea, since they (or the terminals in the cutout) can break easily.

You should contact the DNO and get the cutout replaced, along with the tails to the meter.

I've found that the DNO won't always replace these..... unless they are not fit for purpose of course

well the tails have been replaced. Unfortunatelly with only 16mm!!
25mm will not fit into the terminals.
The PFC measured on the supply was also 0.86kA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back