To Cove or not to Cove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re-decorating/rennovation 100 yr old terrace.

Replastering, painting etc.

At the moment the back sitting room, is being used as a bedroom, there is no coving in it. We have stripped, skimmed and are about to paint it.

Is coving still fashionable?

Want the house to look good, new, but good to sell, what do you think?

Sponsored Links
I think coving finishes off a plain looking room.Is it still fashionable? I see it in most houses that I work in.It's not everybody's choice,but neither is wallpaper.Yes,I'd go for it.

Roughcaster.

coving is definitely still fashionable and it gives a nice straight bottom edge for cutting into.
if you have an old house it may be worth spending some money and getting some decent coving, not the £1 a metre wickes stuff!! would suggets getting it put up professionally if you go for the heavy plaster stuff.
phil

Cheers

I am doing the house to sell so, the £1 if it doesn't look too bad will be the winner.
Also will be putting it up myself as thinking of the bottom line here.

Cheers for the reply.

Sponsored Links
In a 100 year old house I would have though picture rails would look much better than coving.

Possibly

Thought coving, might help to tidy up the line of where wall meets ceiling.

Maybe both, or is that over egging it?

I have recently finished doing up a victorian house to sell. All of the rooms except the Living room had coving and a picture rail. I copied the original coving using a mixture of cheap coving from wickes and wooden mouldings, once painted looked just like the original. I then papered the ceiling to look the same as the other rooms ( could not find original paper but there are some good embossed papers that do the trick). Every one that viewed the house loved the original features. So go for it! People pay a premium for houses with original features. :D

cheers for the advice

i'll be egging and darting tomorrow..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back