to gloss first or emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a full HSL with white dado ,lined out and ready for magnolia top part and lets call it mocha bottom in matt emulsion ,Dont know wether to gloss rail first then mask and emusion , or tuther way round
thanks indesisive Dave

Sponsored Links
They're a pain dado rails.

First thing i've found is if you have any natural light shining down the wall you have to roll it really tight to the rail to avoid an unsightly effect you can get. I found even with minimal patternation from the roller any cutting in above and below the rail stands out big time and looks horrible and even worse with the extra light reflected off the gloss. Don't know if its happened to anyone else but i now roll it tight so i dont have to cut in and have a damp cloth handy to wash off any emulsion i get on the rail. So to answer your question the long way round i do the walls first. My cutting in is good so that bit doesn't trouble me but it might be a bit difficult for someone who doesn't paint that often.

If you mask the rail off after glossing you're likely to lift the paint, especially the new 2010 stuff as its taking longer to dry, i keep getting paint lifting where i mask off the skirtings against carpet, i always break the 'seal' first but its becoming a ball ache, hate this new crappy paint

good points there I reckon i will try your way on one bit of upstairs wall and try masking gloss rail next to it and see what gives thanks for your views Have we a damp cloth the current wife please

Glossing is usually done last, but a lot will depend in how good your cutting in is.

Cutting in the top of the dado is possibly easier than cutting in the bottom.

You may like to emulsion the top section of the wall, then gloss the dado, then emulsion the bottom of the wall.

Try to avoid getting gloss on the wall as when you emulsion over it you can still sometimes see it.

Sponsored Links
im a bit wiser now im thinking put the Mag on the top first right upto the edge ,wipe of as suggested, gloss white Dado should be bit easier been less of contrast last paint the bottom , dark colour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back