To Render or not to Render? Finishing off a stone fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have just opened up our fireplace ahead of getting a multi fuel stove fitted. We are now faced with a face of old crumbly, sooty stone, a concrete lintel and what is left of a cement surround. We have not removed the entire cement surround as we are concerned about the stability of the stone underneath as this is obviously holding up the concrete lintel.

The questions I have are:

What do I do now? Render it? If we were to render it then is it ok to render and patch up the already cemented sides? Once we have cleaned up the stone do we need to apply a coat of PVA? How wet do we need to get the stone before applying a coat of render? (External rendering suggest wetting with a hose but as this is internal crumbly old stone then is just damping it down Ok?)

What about using cement board? Would this just be a lot easier? As it is an old cottage my feeling that the square, clean finish that you get with cement board might not be suited to the style of the property.

Concrete lintel. This is currently covered with a layer of cement. Is it possible to disguise the lintel with a lovely bit of wood? Just trying to consider all possibilities.

As you may have guessed we are complete novices so any advice welcome. I have spent quite a lot of time reading some of the other posts on here but still feel that all my questions have not been answered. See photos below. Not sure why they are upside down.

Sponsored Links
Why not transfer this post to the Building forum?

If you had read up on installing stoves then you would have noticed that you must open up to Mfr's dimensions and work to HETAS Regs.

eg. HETAS determines how close any woodwork can be to an appliance.

The concrete lintel appears to be a metal lintel - maybe its discolored.

No matter the fluing arrangement, you must get the chimney flue swept and smoke tested.

If you're concerned to keep the "cottagey" feel, I'd be tempted to support the lintel on a couple of short acrows in case, remove the rest of the concrete and make good the stone work with lime mortar. Then leave it exposed.

Yes you could cover the lintel, or replace with a bit of oak maybe, but keep in mind the regulations and any manufacturer's instructions concerning separation between the stove and combustible materials.

If you're not already familiar with Part J of the building regulations, you can download it from here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partj/approved

This should not only be done to regs, but notified to and signed off by building control (which your HETAS installer will do on your behalf, if you are not installing the stove yourself).

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back