to seal or not to seal glossy porcelain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased some light beige glossy porcelain tiles fron a local independant tile shop. When I purchased these tiles he said they have been nano sealed so don't require sealing. I have read the box and it doesn't say a thing about sealing tthese tiles. The tiles are Italian not Chinese.

Also there was no wax on these tiles out of the box (glass like finish straight out of rhe box) just blobs of glue in each corner. I don't know if that makes any difference to the likely hood of the tiles bein pretreated

The reason im asking about seeling is because my chinagraph pencil has left a sli sain but grouting and leaving blackurant juice on for 20 mins hasnt.

Please can I have some advice?

Sponsored Links
The "little blobs of glue" are to stop the tiles breaking in the box during transit/handling.

IMO: there's too much emphasis on sealing this and that, you could google and email the mfr's, or simply fix the tile - i would. Presumably its not a massive work area?

Porcelain, as you probably know, is a very hard, non-porous tile.

For DIY'ers, sealing, esp before and after grouting, can lead to a mess.

try a water test on the tile. just pop a blob of water on the surface, leave it 15 minutes then wipe off. if the tile surface has darkened then it has absorbed some of the water and sealing is perhaps a good idea.

if they truly are nano processed then they wont require sealing. is it a well known brand ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back