To skim or not to skim that is the question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just dry lined the downstairs loo, dot and dab, can anyone tell me will I need to have the wall skimmed before tilling or can I simply tile straight onto the plasterboard.

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
No need to skim the bits your going to tile & it will reduce the weight of tiles you can use if that's an issue. If only 1/2 tiling & wan't the rest plastered, get your spread to "waste" the plaster into the area around 50mm below the tile line, then tile.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys, I haven't decided if I'm going to tile floor to ceiling yet or just part way.

Am I right in assuming it would be best to get the skim done first, so it does not go all over newly fixed tiles, if tiling only part way up the wall.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'm off to buy some tiles and acrylic primer. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back