Toadstools on lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just discovered some massive toadstools in the garden, easily 8 inches across. In my haste, i mowed them and they just went everywhere in pieces.

How can i prevent them coming back? The stalks are still in the ground. Whilst i appreciate its a sign of a healthy lawn, i do have two curious boys under 6....

Sponsored Links
Tell the toads to put their tools away after use !!

Actually you should instruct your kids that they will make them ill but also to appreciate the beauty of nature. Education will save them rather than attempts to wrap them in cotton wool. After all, you survived your child-hood.

Could easily have been parasols , common at the moment , large and tasty too. Sadly even the best mushroom forager may have trouble identifying once it's been through a mower.
You can't really do anything to stop them and I wouldn't really advise you to.
With regards to the kids explain to them , last week I picked some fly agaric mushrooms ( the classic ones with the red caps and white spots so beloved of fairies and the like) while out with my daughter. I just explained they were poisoness and not to be eaten.

Sponsored Links
We have mushrooms under a tree which has red berry looking type of stuff.

We also have a 4 year old, who collects worms, and other various creatures that exist in the garden. Even found a caterpillar on the weekend.

We educate them that they can pick them, kick them, throw them etc..but they cant eat them and need to wash hands when coming back in from the garden ~ usually using the outside tap.

Children will be nosy at first, then after a whilst it will become boring...

Yeah teach the kids , that's the key. Can backfire in some respects. I taught my daughter when she was four or five what not to eat and what can be eaten. She soon picked it up and set to stripping the black currant bushes , the strawberries , peas , apples and carrots :D .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back