Toast

Some people like their toast buttered when the toast is warm. Some like the butter spread when cooler so that it doesn't melt.

Presumably some dont care, but for soldiers soft toast isn't great.

Is it the moisture in the air that makes it soft if left?

Sponsored Links
I recently spent two weeks in hospital and food is really important, there is precious else to do. Meals mark the passage of the day, that and having observations done. Oh and being asked daily whether I had 'moved my bowels' which is a weird thing to be asked. None of us knew what day it was or what the weather was like. It looked sunny but we had no clue about temperature.
My toast problem was that is was often cold, which is understandable. I found if I ate my bran flakes and then asked for toast as I was a bit hungry, I got lovely hot toast. Couldn't do it every day of course.
I spent at least two days, probably more, trying to figure out how the vertical hangers for the bed curtains went so accurately through the polystyrene tiles, all absolutely vertical. I was trying to figure out how they connected to the presumably concrete ceiling.

I have had the good fortune never to have been an inpatient, so your post provides an interesting insight into the situation.
I'd be interested to know whether you are allowed to have your laptop at your bed (assuming, of course, that you are physically able to use it). I'd be surprised if they'd allow us to use their electricity (minuscule though it might be) free of charge, and quite shocked to find out that they provide free WiFi!

I have had the good fortune never to have been an inpatient, so your post provides an interesting insight into the situation.
I'd be interested to know whether you are allowed to have your laptop at your bed (assuming, of course, that you are physically able to use it). I'd be surprised if they'd allow us to use their electricity (minuscule though it might be) free of charge, and quite shocked to find out that they provide free WiFi!

Never took laptop with me but was able to plug in my mobile to charge it.

Never took laptop with me but was able to plug in my mobile to charge it.

That's decent of them. Did they provide free WiFi?

Sponsored Links
whether you are allowed to have your laptop

Oh yes, but I don't have a laptop. And free wifi. I wasn't really that bothered as I wasn't well.
I suppose hospitals vary in what they supply and it probably varies depending on the type of ward, whether you are in a more long term ward.
This was in St Richards in Chichester

Take your pick :-
http://www.inewidea.com/tag/toaster

Camouflaged for Hospital use perhaps ?

20100802101.jpg

20100802103.jpg

-0-

when I was in hosp for a while, they allowed patients to take in small electrical items provided they were tested by the hospital's electrician before being plugged in.

Hospital sockets are usually on a 10mA RCD.

when I was in hosp for a while, they allowed patients to take in small electrical items provided they were tested by the hospital's electrician before being plugged in.

Hospital sockets are usually on a 10mA RCD.

The mind boggles :LOL:

The reason they do not have toasters on the wards is because the toasters set off the smoke alarms! These are all connected to the fire station, and generates an automatic red alert. 'Nuff said?

Like a few days ago?

Cost them £180 call-out to reset the panel because some no-brain nurse used the toaster where they shouldn't have.

Oh and being asked daily whether I had 'moved my bowels' which is a weird thing to be asked.

If I am asked that, I just smile and say "I'm doing it now" while jiggling my pelvis!

They soon get bored and ask if you have been to the toilet.

As a seasoned hospital in-patient, I can confidently reply that of the 3 NW hospitals I have stayed in, they all allow you to plug in chargers, whether that be mobile or laptop (I have used both) but of the three, only one (Stepping Hell) has got free WiFi. However, I get a good signal on 3 when near a window and have access to unlimited data so if there's no WiFi, it's no biggie.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back