toilet drips after being flushed for a while

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have dismantled it all, cleaned the valve up havent replaced the washer (but it looked ok) was a bit mucky in there, but doesnt seem to have improved it (didnt replace the washer as at the time wasnt aware what sort it was and havent got one yet

it stops if you hold the ball up for a second. (like there is to much play and not making it switch off quicker) it does switch off in the end but takes a good while..

will a new washer improve it?

it it normal to drip for a good while after being flushed ??

toilet about 14 yrs old thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
thanks ill get a new washer - should it stop all together pretty quick ??? after filling up ? thanks

There should be an improvement although you'll find yourself still sitting there watching it drip for while muttering to yourself :LOL: :LOL:

thanks for your help last comment amused me!!

it drips for a good hour at the moment are all diaphragm washers the same???

changed it this morning still drips for a fair few hours, pretty sure it cuts off in the end (as if you hold up the ball valve up)

should it really take that long??

thanks

Final thing you could try is to put that new washer in the other way round. I'm surprised that it's still taking so long to stop dripping. The only other reason could be a bit of pitting along the seal rim. :confused:

We are talking about a float valve with an arm which has a spherical plastic float, yes?
You've replaced the washer, but it still lets by, yes?

If it has a plastic seat
PPS301_101125_250.jpg

they can 'craze' and bits fall away causing a leak.

If it is a Part 1, 2 or 3 float valve with a spherical float, get rid and fit something decent - a Fluidmaster, perhaps.

You may find the problem is the ball valve nozzle. I've had one with a crack in it and another where a groove was worn in it.
If your'e changing the diaphragm it makes sense to change the nozzle at the same time. about £1-30 from B & Q

Final thing you could try is to put that new washer in the other way round. I'm surprised that it's still taking so long to stop dripping. The only other reason could be a bit of pitting along the seal rim. :confused:

tried this will report back, :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back