Toilet Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am currently renovating our downstairs tiolet and need to replace the fan because the bearings are shot and is very noisey. Are there any regulations regarding the extraction rate of the fan. The room does not have a window, is 4 foot x 5 foot and has just got a toilet and hand basin in it. I have seen various fans available from as low as 20Ltr/sec to as high as 64Ltr/sec extraction rate.

The ducting length is about 2m and the fan is a timed one fed from the lighting circuit.

What sort of extraction rate would you recommend.

Many thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
The higher the extraction rate the sooner you get rid of the smell.

Yeah, I do appreciate that, but also the higher the extraction rate the noisier it will be, not motor noise but wind noise.

The current fan is a Manrose XF100T which has an extraction rate of 23Ltr/sec. This copes perfectly well but, bearing in mind I've got to replace it anyway, I wanted to make sure that it satisfies the regulations.

I believe that regs state that there must be a fan but I was enquiring whether the regs also state what the minimum rate should be.

Russell

The extract rate is for the fan in free air. Meaning the air taken out of the room can be freely replaced by air coming into the room from another room ( under the door of via vent panel in the door) or from outside via an air brick.

Sponsored Links
As its just a wc i think the regs only ask for a fan with 6 l/s extract and a 15min over run - so if you replace with a similar 23 l/s extract with an over run you should be well in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back