Toilet help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet flush broke last night. It's a syphon unit and the plastic bit which attaches to the flushing handle and pulls the thing up to flush had snapped. The plastic sheet on the thing looked worn too so I think it was ready to go.

I've checked with local plumbing place and they don't sell the replacement plastic part, only the whole syphon unit which isn't too expensive anyway.

All the guides online seem to say that you have to remove the long pip which goes into the bowl below which seems a bit tricky.

At the top of this pipe, there is a standard screw with a ubend (screws on each side) - is it possible to just replace the part which attachest to the ubend thing instead of taking the whole thing off? None of the guides online seem to mention how to do that though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This isn't my toilet but it looks like a similar design

file.php

It unscrews at either side of the u bend thing...

It's like this excet it's in two parts so I don't see the point in removing the up/down pipe thing.

parts.jpg

It's the part labled vertical rod which has snapped, I could do with a new "flap" too. If these are standard fit, can you buy them anywhere?[/url]

Sponsored Links
with that type you have to remove the cistern to take the part out i would advise you to look for one that is removeable without removing the cistern when you fit the new one also if it has a fixing plate below the cistern change that at the same time.

Thanks, mine isn't actually like that though, mine is in two parts, if you know what I mean, three parts actually if I unscrew both screws on u bend?

if you cistern sits directly onto the pan and seperated via 'doughnut' flange then i reccomend you get a close couple kit awell as the syphon.

Sponsored Links
if you cistern sits directly onto the pan and seperated via 'doughnut' flange then i reccomend you get a close couple kit awell as the syphon.

1232404022-28547-0.jpg

I just bought this, I can get a refund if I don't take it out of the packaging.

It only has the one screw bit, on the downpipe side, but I'm hoping I can just screw it onto my downpipe bit, otherwise it'll be a case of getting another all in one cystern.

Do you think this will work?

yes thats a syphon, but if you cistern sits directly onto the pan it is what is known as a closed couple cistern and is sealed by compression on a flange once taken apart and new new syphon fitted these flange's can leak just as easy t replace as they do not cost much and would save you some hassle.

View media item 31047

The cystern and the seat bit are seperate and their is a pipe between the two.

The syphon unit I currently have (faulty) unscrews at the top of the pip inside the cystern.

The new thing I bought unscrews and I'm hoping I can just attach it to their. The potential problems I can see is that the screw might be of a different size on the new unit or that the new unit (obloing type shape) might not fit (it's all they had) as my old one was rounded?

I hope this makes sense :)

ok so its not a close couple cistern so ignore me lol. Sounds like you have a low level cistern with a flush pipe to the pan.

:oops:

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said 'plastic bit which attaches to the flushing handle'.

Please ignore.

:oops:

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said 'plastic bit which attaches to the flushing handle'.

Please ignore.

:) That's fine, I know I'm not making much sense really, thanks for trying to help.

This thing cost £16 so I'm not even going to take it out of it's bag if it doesn't look like it'll fit as they won't refund once it's out of it's bag!

I can get a cheap one for £8 if I've got to take the bottom off so I may as well take it back if it won't fit onto my existing pipe.

Is it an easy job to take the bottom off and replace the pipe if need be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back