Toilet keeps running after flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, we have a Bathstore loo that has a little problem !

After flushing, the water keeps running into the pan, this continues until I push the little green slidey thing back down on the right

IMG_4025.JPG

Problem is only (I think) when the full flush is used (i.e. the green button on the left is pushed)

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Are there two small tubes going from the flush buttons to the valve? If there is, check if there is any water trapped in the tubes. You need to get rid of any water in the tubes. This stops the valve sitting back down.

Does that make sense? :LOL:

Hi There - not sure what you mean really! Sorry !

Do you mean from the big green/white buttons to ... somewhere ?

Sponsored Links
I didnt look at the picture when i replies, it didnt go well with my small screen. I've resized it and it doesnt look like two tubes flush system so ignore my previous post.

IMG_4025.JPG

Probably stating the obvious, your problem appears to be the valve isnt fully closing after flushing. Check for anything that might be blocking it.

your buttons sit direct onto the top of the flush valve if i remember.

Yeah I think so

If I push the right button (white) - all seems ok

If I push the left button (greenish) - the green slidey bit (thats a technical term :D ) on the right moves up as the toilet flushes

Its supposed to spring back down (we have another loo that works OK ) but it seems to get stuck :cry:

they drop down under gravity so just check for any rough bits on the valve where it slides etc.

ah ok - sounds like my old friend LIMESCALE again !

thanks will have a look - must admit though the other loo seems to be springing back down - rather than just gravity

I'll have a check though - many thanks

You can turn off the water supply to the inlet valve underneath the cistern (at least the Water Regs I work to, say there 'will' be a means of isolation ;) )

Then push the buttons down to empty as much water as poss from the cistern. Gripping the flushing valve firmly, you can twist it about 1/16 of a turn to release the bayonet type tabs from the plastic base which should remain firmly fixed to the base of the cistern.

You can then inspect the condition of the washer that uses water pressure above it to push it down to form a watertight seal. To be honest any decent plumbers merchant will be able to source a direct replacement for it, and you can then keep the original as spares if required.

Did I mention re-assemble in reverse order?

Now check that the plastic pins that are inserted into the base of the push button are long enough to depress the green or white buttons when required to , but, not so long that they keep either of those buttons depressed when not required. Phew, Nearly there.

Ensure the action of the push button is free 9use vaseline on the moving parts if required - tho' silicone lube is better.

HTH

DH

You can then inspect the condition of the washer that uses water pressure above it to push it down to form a watertight seal. To be honest any decent plumbers merchant will be able to source a direct replacement for it, and you can then keep the original as spares if required.
I had exactly the same problem with a Bathstore loo just a few months after installation with what looks like an identical flush unit. There was nothing actually wrong with the washer itself, it just seemed to be very slightly oversized causing the plunger to stick open after flushing. Vaseline would work for a week or so & then the same problem; in the end I got so frustrated with it I trimmed 1mm off the circumference of the rubber seal as a kill or cure solution; no further problems since.

Thanks Richard - can you replace/trim the washer without dismantling the entire cistern (as DH explains above ?)

You don’t have to dismantle anything & you can even do it without turning the water off. As DH explains, just grasp the flushing valve & twist it anti-clockwise to disengage the bayonet fixing; the toilet will then continually flush but no problem unless your on a water meter! Turn the valve upside down & you’ll see the rubber washer; just pull it off, trim with some sharp scissors, put it back & refit the valve by engaging the bayonet & twisting it clockwise; job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back