Toilet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought into my current house about a year ago. When I moved in somebody (a botcher) had "renovated" the bathroom not too long ago. After a few months a leak started in the join between the outside wastpipe and the toilet waste pipe. I think its due to the outside waste pipe meeting the toilet at an angle, ie the outside pipe is lower than the toilet pipe as can be seen. Now even I know that its difficult to get a good seal if the pipes are not lined up correctly. They have just bodged it.

Anyways I did manage too seal it with some white sealant, well it doesnt drip no more! But it does smell a bit!! Now I think maybe its due to the contanimation getting into the bandage stuff that they've used but who knows it may have a very small leak.

So what do I do? I know you can get adjustable interfaces between the two pipes to take account for the angle but all the ones Ive seen are quite long and as you can see there aint much room between the outside pipe and the toilet. Is it a hard job to fix, do I need a plumber? Anyhelp will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul.

P.S. Hopefully an adminstrator will post the photo for me which I have sent to them, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
No pic yet!

Is it the pan connector to the soil pipe inside the house that is leaking? If so there are off set angled and flexi pipes you can get that will do the job.
Plumbcentre is youe best bet for these.

Thanks for the reply.

bennettp23_1.jpg

Yeah its where the toilet meets the wastepipe.

I think that my only problem might be that there isnt enough space to put in one of the angled connectors, it might already have one on, not too sure. Hopefully when the picture gets on I can get some more help from you! As too how to go about replacing whatever needs replacing, not looking forward to that, stinky stuff! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Yeah good idea, that would give me some more space.

Just a couple of questions?

Are the connectors just pushed on or is there some sealant compound that you use?

What is the best way to cut the pipe? Does it need some prep work?

Will the old connection come of the male pan connection easily or is it stuck on?

Will I have to move the toilet, ie unbolt it from the floor, what happens to the cistern?

Thanks for everyones help! :D

And thanks to the admin guys for posting the picture. :D

1. Yes, they're push fit with rubber seal, no sealant required.
2. Chain link cutter best for this. No prep work.
3. Yes it will just pull off, but get your marigolds on first!
4. If you use a flexi you should be able to wangle it in without moving pan, feed it into the soil pipe before pushing rubber flange in, and then pull it back over the pan outlet, then push flange into soil pipe.

thanks for the help again keyplayer,

Not having much look finding a chain link cutter on the net, are they expensive?

Thanks

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back