toilet leaking from screws under the cistern DIY help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, ive looked through this site a bit and coudlnt find anyone with the exact same problem with me so forgive me is this has been addressed before and i missed it.

my toilet has started leaking over night, we've never had this problem before. It has no name on it that i can instantly see so im not sure what make this one is, its a standard toilet with cistern plumbed into the wall but there are two screws under the bottom of the cister a couple inches apart and they constantly drip now to the point where the water has soaked through the floor into the light fitting in the ceiling of the roof below.
Anyways im finding it near impossible to find a non extortionate plumber available at this short notice and was wondering if this is a problem that i could fix myself? or if its more serious. Ive read somewhere that the fact that my toilet seat has been loose can affect the toilets function in the long term too and the cistern does show cracks int he seal between it and the wall if thats of any consequence.

Im greatful for any advice, thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a good bet the large o ring under the cistern is perished, assuming the cistern is close coupled i.e. attached/sitting directly on to the top of the actual toilet.

You can buy a kit for about £3.00 in screwfix. Item 17405-89.

Its a messy job and you will likely find the metal plate which holds the o ring in place will be rusted. This is supplied with the above kit.

Hope this helps?

yea the cistern is close coupled i guess. Thanks so much for replying to this post.

Im assuming i have to empty the cistern then before i start screwing around with the O ring which i will go and have a look at after i post this cus i dont know anything about toilets so it will be an adventure if nothing else.

thanks again

Yep, isolate your water supply, flush the loo to empty the cistern and remove lid from cistern. Usually two screws will hold this to the wall. Undo the wing nut srews underneath first and undo the coldwater pipe feeding the cistern before removing the two aforementioned screws holding cistern to wall. You should then be able to lift the cistern clear from the toilet and gain access to the o ring and clamp. Best of luck. If you're not competent I would leave.

Sponsored Links
thanks a lot for the advice its much apreciated, youve been more help than all the extortionately priced plumbers ive called today combined.

thanks again.

Give us a laugh...tell us what £££ they quoted ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back