toilet on floorboards or laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs wc currently has the toilet removed and the laminate flooring has yet to be laid.

Should the toilet be fixed onto the floorboards and the laminate laid around or should the toilet be fixed on top of the laminate flooring once laid?

Sponsored Links
I'd fit on the laminate after install.

Seco, have found your advice to be amongst the soundest on the forum so surprised by this. I've always 2nd fixed WC over final floor covering (looks far neater). Why would you fit other way? Or do you mean fit WC after laminate install?

Sponsored Links
2 arguments here
you should not impede free movement off the laminate allowing 12mm expansion all round

now the reality if you don't fully seal any cut edges around the toilet your risk ----well the smell off stale urine is enough -- well you know

i always go for under the pan as you have to fill the expansion gap with silicone to stop any dribbles collecting if you cut round :eek:

in general bathrooms are small so undersized/non existent expansion gaps/pinched laminate is ok as the other edge will accommodate the expansion

Nooooo don't put laminate flooring in a room with water in it, even the bathroom-rated stuff will swell over time as it inevitably gets wet, it's all basically a bit cr@p. Get yourself some Karndean, looks like laminate but is actually genuinely waterproof with a 12, 15 or 20 year warranty depending on which range you pick. Much better stuff.

Oh yeah, and lay it under the pan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back