Toilet pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
hi everyone.

I have a leaking pipe connected to my toilet and I’m hoping someone can point out what the pipe is actually used for. I can’t work it out. Is it an overflow pipe? I have drawn in red where the leak is on the pipe. Thanks

Sponsored Links
There’s just the overflow pipe outside. There’s nothing outside that is connected to this pipe

It must come from somewhere......! It looks like it has been - or is - a drain from a wash hand basin or whatever, maybe coming from within the wall which is somewhat unusual. At least the end will be blanked off somewhere. It's solvent welded pipe that isn't actually welded, hence the leak.
The cistern overflow is just to the left of it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John

It does seem to most likely run through the wall, and probably blanked off like you said.

i’m confused what water would be running through it though. Is this water from the cistern leaking?

The cistern overflow looks like the small diameter pipe to the left of the leaking one. If you lift the lid off the cistern you'll see the pipe just above the level of the water inside.
The fresh water inlet pipe should be on the other side, out of shot on your pic.
So - that large diameter pipe - they are 40mm diameter over here - is still active or the water is backing up when you flush the loo, and escaping there instead of going under the floor.....but it would be a significant blockage for the water to rise so far up.
My guess is that suspicious pipe is still active somehow!

Ok I see. It’s interesting that the water that is leaking is coming from the toilet. The pipe only seems to leak during some heavy rain so I assumed the pipe was connect outside somewhere

It's only my opinion but from what you've just said there it would seem that the offending pipe is dealing with rainwater and using the toilet drain to get rid of it.....unorthodox over here!
Anyway, if the toilet is flushing fine, the leaking water isn't likely to be foul.

Ok thanks for your help. I guess I’ll put some silicone around the leak and call it done.

It may work for a while - there are various tapes that claim to do the same.....Gorilla do one.
Good luck with your search if you decide to bash on !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back