Toilet seal to downpipe broken - quick temporary fix???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old toilet which I am going to be replacing in February when I have enough money. However - in the meantime it has suddenly started leaking out the back where it connects to the downpipe.

This is spewing out water on every flush onto the Bathroom floor.

I don't want a full scale fix on this as I'm installing a brand new bathroom in a matter of weeks.

How can I temporarily reseal the connection so that it's water tight?

I was thinking of stuffing some plastic bags around the seal and then wrapping some sort of tape around it. But perhaps there is some sort of magic sealant spray or tape that I can easily use for a few weeks?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sponsored Links
How big's the gap?
small - dry it and try silicone
bigger - dry it and try plumbers mait

Meths is good for drying things.
If you can pull the pipe out, new plastic /rubber rings are cheap.

wrap it in DENSO tape, it is web tape impregnated with horrible green slimy stuff that is brilliant, it comes in 2" & 4" wide rolls, you need to wear rubber gloves or you will have the stuff on your hands for weeks, cut strips and wrap round the pipe overlapping the previous strip and keep smoothing each strip into the one before to make one smoothed out seal, it doesn't look too clever but it will work,

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what a flush cone is but I'm guessing that installing it will mean moving the toilet in some way - or something bigger than I'm wanting to do right now.

Where can I get a hold of the Denso tape?

any plumbers mechant/builders merchant :idea: ...probably not a diy shed :cry:

not being funny but denso tape is a pi$$ poor idea :confused: ...its horrible stuff, not made for small repairs on a leak inside the house

039075.jpg

Is this what you are after :?: :D

Flush cone.

JPC, your comment on DENSO is fair enough but the post did ask for a temp fix and it is perfect for that type of thing, when called out at 11pm to fix a leaking wc in a less than clean bathroom it suffices until someone draws the short straw to go back and pull it out and fix, although other posts now make me think it could be the flush pipe that was leaking which i would agree using denso is a no-no, but i assumed rightly or wrongly, usually wrongly!! that it was the waste pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back