Toilet seat slipping to one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet seats always slip to one side and I have bought several different ones to try and combat the problem but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas of how to remedy this.
Thanks x

Sponsored Links
sounds like it hasn`t been put on square, is the bumper on the bottom of the toilet seat when no weight is on it half off the bowl, if it is then as soon as weight is applyed it will slip off the bowl,

it might be that the fixing nuts are not tight enough. They are usually done up finger-tight from underneath but I think there is a special tool available to help tighten them. Mostly the fixings are plastic but I recently got a seat from Wilkinsins that has metal hinges. I think it is a 6mm thread and it is not supplied with metal wing nuts, but 6mm stainless wing nuts are available from engineering suppliers or ebay at modest price and I think would be a useful addition as you could do them up tight by hand. A rubbery washer against the porcelain also improves grip and prevents slide (hard glossy plastic washers are not so good).

it is always worth cleaning and drying the fixing areas thoroughly before fitting

if the user flops onto the seat from a sideways approach, this may be applying a pushing pressure that could dislodge the fixing. A handhold might help. A local organisation I am involved with has a disabled loo, where the seat has come off sideways several times. Checking the accident book shows that it has been the same person using it each time. She is not quite as slim as me.

Doc. M failure there :rolleyes: . I think a lot of wheelchair users Have to slide from one seat to another...something to do with their legs not working :idea:

Sponsored Links
this person uses a stick but not a chair.

It doesn't help when using a 6mm bolt through a 20mm hole.
I have made bushes to counteract this, it's improved it but not fully cured.
Unfortunately part of the problem rests with the hinges. Hinge pins too small, too much play.
Also agree 'wing nuts' need to be metal not plastic

Hi there,

Do you get Kleeneze catalogue delivered.

If you loo in there or on website, you can get L shapper rubber blocks you stick to the underside of the seat to stop it sliding.

Rico

Thank you all for your helpful replies :) I think the problem must be the result of plastic fittings. I remember that one of my old seats had metal fittings and I had no problems with that one slipping. Also, I am unable to tighten the plastic screws as much as I'd like, so it could be that too. There are some good suggestions here for me to try out, so thanks again :) x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back