Toilet smell and drains help..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our house was built in 2005 and has 4 toilets. It also has some kind of "vent pipe" thing in the loft which I am not what it is for. It seems sealed. Just looked and its a center band 110mm air admittence pipe.

Anyway the polystyrene and plastic bag was still on the end of this I presume the builders never removed it so I have taken it off.

I also cleared all the leaves and mess from the drains and gutters around the house the other day and now all are clean. One of the man hole covers was removed and there was obviously a blockage, it was about 6 inch high so I used a long brush and dislodged the mess and it all drained away, i flushed with the hose.

Now it all runs clear under the man hole covers.

One of the toilets, (and only 1, I think 2 of the others at least get rid of their waste on a slightly different route out of the house) has started to smell. It is not coming from the bath or the sink plug holes in the same room, just the toilet.

Now I have flused the tooilet and watched down the man hole and it runs down no issues. The downstairs loo which is on the same "circuit" runs fine too and there is no smell on that. The one that is smelling is not used really but then again neither is one of the other ones and that does not smell.

Can anyone try and explain this, what on earth could be causing it. The toilet is clean and flushed with bleech. Is it something to do with this pipe in the loft?

I am stuck, the pipes are obviously fine so I didnt think it got anymore technical than ensuring there was no blockage under the manhole covers.

Thank you in advance

Liam

having just searched online I see the polystyrene and bag should be left on in the loft.

How can I tell if the valve is faulty? It seems sealed/glued on and wont be easy to get off.

Sponsored Links
Did you do any rodding/cleaning anywhere near that area? The pushfit wastes don't take much to push them off.

Sure it's not coming out of the sink, shower and bath wastes? Bung them up overnight and sniff in the morning. As long as the water level in the toilet bowl is above the bend, no smell will come up that way, so it's either those or under the floor.

If not, gotta be worth tracing the waste pipe, even if it means popping up some floorboards.

It could be related to the air admittance valve, they do fail sometimes, both open and closed, but the smell would be there if it was failed open. (If it fails closed, the water level is very high in the toilet)

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean push fit wastes? I did not do anything in the bathroom at all, all outside the house. I smell down the sink and bath plugs and its fine.

How can I tell if the air admittence valve is working ok? If this has failed would the smell be real bad around it in the loft? Water level in the toilet fine, flushes fine, bath and sink drain fine, manhole outside is clear and clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back