Toilet Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

after some advice (aren't we all!!).

I want to install a small ensuite upstairs just above and to one side of the downstairs bathroom. My main problem is the soil stack.

The downstairs toilet feeds directly down into a concrete opening in the bathroom floor. I intend to move the toilet to one side and then run the soil stack straight up into the room above (with a 750mm dog leg) to allow it to align with the proposed toilet position upstairs.

Firstly, are there any rules with regard to routing the soil stack inside the house? Not ideal I know but I will of course box it in.
Secondly, what options do I have regarding venting the stack. I had planned to pass a reduced diameter pipe through the wall to the outside from the upstairs toilet and then run this to above the guttering where it would be vented. I suspect that this is a big NO NO though. Any other options? There is not enough room to fit a AAV above the soil stack in the ensuite.

Thanks guys - any help or advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
potatospud said:
Firstly, are there any rules with regard to routing the soil stack inside the house?
No rules that I'm aware of.

Secondly, what options do I have regarding venting the stack.
Your options are (a) vent it or (b) don't vent it. Your work will be subject to Building Regulations and Water Regulations, but AFAIK the work isn't notifiable. There's nothing to stop you seeking facts and advice from your LABC though - in my experience they're always helpful.

I had planned to pass a reduced diameter pipe through the wall to the outside from the upstairs toilet and then run this to above the guttering where it would be vented. I suspect that this is a big NO NO though.
This can be acceptable - I've done it before meself. If you're adding a vent where there wasn't one before then arguably anything is an improvement.

There is not enough room to fit a AAV above the soil stack in the ensuite.
Er, you can't obviate the need for a vent by fitting an AAV.

the work is notifiable.any new install has to be reported to building control and passed.i think from april this year.

Your work will be subject to Building Regulations and Water Regulations, but AFAIK the work isn't notifiable.

What do you mean by 'notifiable'. Do you mean that I have to comply with the water and building regs but do not neccesarily need to 'notify' them about it?

I understand that I am obviously far better seeking their advice and approval now rather than have questinos if/when I decide to sell the house.

Sponsored Links
potatospud said:
Your work will be subject to Building Regulations and Water Regulations, but AFAIK the work isn't notifiable.

What do you mean by 'notifiable'. Do you mean that I have to comply with the water and building regs but do not neccesarily need to 'notify' them about it?
Sorry; didn't mean to be cyryptic - "notifiable", in this context, means "give a building notice (or deposit full plans where <bla bla bla>)".

You can read more about the Building Regulations here: http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1501252
and read yer actual Regulations here: http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130483

Re-reading some of the amendments, I agree with fitz1 - the work is notifiable, although I suspect that this came into force much earlier than this year.

I understand that I am obviously far better seeking their advice and approval now rather than have questinos if/when I decide to sell the house.
Quite so - you can run, but you can't hide ;)

its always been in force. its just this year they have decided to make an issue of it , along with the rest of the crap the government and corgi etc etc are doing.

fitz1 said:
its always been in force.
Er, I thought you said it was from April this year. :confused:

its just this year they have decided to make an issue of it , along with the rest of the rubbish the government and corgi etc etc are doing.
I'm not quite sure what issue you're referring to - has the legislation changed this year, or are you saying that enforcement was weaker before this year?

750 dog leg on the wet part of the stack might raise an eyebrow.......can`t say what it raised for me , but I am a bit odd :eek: it`s not good practise to offset water carrying soil pipe on a single stack system ;) depends how pedantic the build. inspector is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back