Toilet Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Replacing the toilet as part of downstairs loo and utility room redecoration.

Removed the old toilet, this is what i have left:-

There's a clay rest bend which you can see, that lip is about 6" down. The white plastic thing, i've not tried to remove yet. I presume that the clay end of the rest bend is a socket, and this plastic thing sits inside that socket with some sort of seal?

The new toilet is a close coupled cistern, and thus I either need to move this waste back about 120mm, or build out a box on the wall.

What is involved in each option? are there adaptors that will attach to the rest bend to help me move it? or would I need to dig out the whole bend?

Or, If i elect to build out the wall, what sort of bits will I be wanting to go between the rest bend and the toilet pan? that white plastic thing is pretty manky so i'd like to replace it. Do i just want a 90 degree pan connecter, like screwfix 15330 to both replace the white plastic thing and join the pan directly to the rest bend?

Thanks for any pointers.

Slip

Sponsored Links
Update:

I pulled the white thing out and it seems to be a straight pan connector. And the rest bend is a male end, no socket.

What has happened is that the pan connector has been taped to the male end of the rest pipe, butted up to it, then concrete has been poured around it.

Surely this is not the "right" way of doing it? What is the solution?

thanks

slip

put a socket coupler on it a short lenght of soilpipe then the pan coupler.
or put a extension straight in to rest bend then pan connector into that.

thanks for that.

what is the normal way in which a soil pipe terminates in a house with a concrete floor, for example in a new build? would there be a plastic soil pipe with a socket sticking up out of the floor? or is it normal for the socket to be recessed and then the pan connector to go into the floor as it were?

thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
So the pan connector is a smaller diameter than soil pipe, and fits inside it?

Are the modern plastic soil pipes compatible (same size etc) as the clay rest bend? (which i have not measured yet).

Looks like i shall have to carefully dig out the concrete to get to the clay pipe. Any tips?

if you use a normal elbow you will find the toilet does not sit against the wall, you will either need to put boxing behind the toilet, or get an s trap toilet of the right mesurement.

I'm further confused now. I've removed some of the concrete, and what i thought was a male end is actually a socket after all. but the inside diameter of the pipe is about 4" but the wider part of the socket is about 6.5"

what's the right way to adapt from this?

the inner part of the pipe is about 4" and the outer part of the socket, which i've uncovered, is 6.5" or thereabouts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back