Told British Gas don't Fit isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ran BG today to ask for an isolator to be fitted. The young lady from their MASTs team informed me that they no longer fit isolator switches, but i could have the main fuse pulled at the cost £120 + vat but they could no guarantee they be back the same day.

Is someone taking the P?
i though ofgen had a rule that say operators must have provisions for this

I Also commented on that the meter seems unsafe as the previous owner has pushed two cable into the meter holes along side of the meter tails for a cooker CU and are now dropping out (She didn't give too hoots and told me anything after the meter is my responsibility including tails)

Sponsored Links
surely anything after the meter is yours, so if you want an isolator its upto you to fit...

A spark would probably charge less than £120 to come out and fit an isolator anyway...

surely anything after the meter is yours, so if you want an isolator its upto you to fit...

A spark would probably charge less than £120 to come out and fit an isolator anyway...

Ok so how do I upgrade my meter tails cut the seals on the meter

and yes probably would charge less than £120 to fit but who is pulling the fuse or is he working live

Sponsored Links
Just guessing i best not call up for the seal to be replaced as it seems to be a standing charge of a call out!

I went through something very similar recently, it went like this:

1. Arranged with building management to provide me with key for electric intake room (it's a flat) (this in itself was major hassle already).

2. Called up EDF, to arrange for engineer to turn off supply in the morning (a 2 hour window was given), and turn on supply in the afternoon on the same day (again a 2 hour window was given). I was given a slot weeks in the future, this was their earliest. Fortunately it was free of charge.

3. Spoke to a few local electricians to arrange for an isolator to be fitted (and CU replacement) on the same day EDF turn up, chose the one who was the most co-operative and understanding.

Also decided to purchase the isolator in advance just in case my electrician did not turn up, so I can get an emergency electrician out to help do the work.

4. On the day, EDF turned up on time, electrician did the work, electrician had a few cuppers whilst waiting for EDF to come back, EDF turned up just as we were giving up hope...and on came the supply again.

Ok so it all went to plan, seal is intact, EDF engineer was happy to switch supply back on, and electrician had to sit about for about 2 hours without any electricity to entertain him, fortunately some hot tea from next door.

I'm happy to pay for an isolator, But for £120 just to pull the fuse or reseal seems excessive i would expect it all to be done and dusted for that price

Why do you think most sparks don't bother going through this routine... not that I'm suggesting pulling the main fuse yourself on a public forum, you understand ;)

Why don't electricians/niceic/etc get more co-operation from suppliers like BG/EDF ?

Surely if enough of you clubbed together something can be done about this?

You must be joking! The suppliers cant even agree when to work in the same hole in the road. They have to wait while one hole is filled in before they can dig up the same patch to do their job.

In my area if you go to the depot and tell them which property you are going to pull the fuse from, they will give you a temporary one and instruct the meter reader to fit a new one next time he is at the property, I heard that this is the most generous of all of the supply co's.

You have to demonstrate part P compliance for this to be granted though

Martin

The thing to appreciate is that British Gas do not actually look after the network. The person who comes to pull the fuse and re-instate supply will work for a DNO, such as YEDL/NEDL (CE) /EDF/Central etc.

The DNO's dont actually charge much to pull the fuse, AFAIK (if anything, they will usually be on their way to a bigger job etc). It seems British Gas are charging you for arranging it.

And the meter situation - tell them you can see bare cores emerging from THEIR equipment. Then they will be out pretty sharpish. ;)

AFAICT, BG will arrange fitting of iso's but you have to be buying electricity from them at the time.

Otherwise, the DNO can be called out FOC to isolate in the AM and re-energise in the PM.

The DNO cannot charge for this service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back