Tongue and Groove Part Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I've found quite a good tutorial on how to make and fix tongue and groove panels for the bottom part of a wall. The only problem is that it doesn't really mention anything about the top 'dado rail'.
The wall panels will be slightly away from the wall due to the thickness of the battens. How do i fix a top 'dado rail'
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
are you talking a 6mm mdf sheet with "v" grooves if so dont baton just no nails onto the wall chamfering the top edge of the paneling to neaten and help it flow into the dado

you could also cut a 7mm rebate into the dado this would require a router table and possibly the loss of the lowest part of the dado

other options for up to around 16mm is picture rail upside down

let us know the exact thickness to the face for other ideas

Other option is a bolection moulding but if your T&G is on batten then the rebate may not be enough.

You may need to join a strip of timber to the top back edge of the dado moulding to mack an "L" shape that covers the top of the panelling, thats what I did on this bathroom

Jason

Sponsored Links
AndyJay said:
Thanks guys -
I was thinking more along the lines of this:
http://www.remodelguide.com/improve/walls/paneling/paneling_works.html

But if there are easier/cheaper methods like you mention "6mm mdf sheet with "v" grooves" then that might be better.

Which would you go for?

Thanks again
Andy

sheet of 6mm mdf around £10 will cover 2.4m at 1m high
9mm txg cladding covers 88mm for70p per meter around £8 a meter width plus batons if required

you of course need a router to do the "v"grooves in the mdf

you can buy ready grooved panels never bought them but i belive they are relatively expensive

Yes 6mm board and a router works for me too, I find the pre beaded and grooved MDF has too big a bead. The other advantage is that the MDF will not expand/contract like softwood so you don't get a crack in the paint on every joint ;)

Stick the panels with gripfill and a few screws for good measure, Should look something like this

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back