Too Much Loft Insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Is there such a thing as too much loft insulation, about 18 months ago we had a grant for cavity wall and loft insulation. The blokes that carried out the work placed the new loft insulation over the old and it now sits several inches over the rafters making it impossible to gain access to the loft as you cannot see the beams.

Last Christmas when I was reaching down the decorations I noticed that the cardboard boxes felt damp which is the first time I have ever noticed this in all the years we have stored them in the loft. I never thought anymore about it until getting them down again this year.

This year I noticed small pools of water sat on some of the boxes I had wrapped in clingfilm for protection. Initially I was worried rain was somehow getting in, but upon investigating I found that the internal felt which support the roof tiles had lots of water droplets on and they were slowly dripping down. Also I noticed that the upper beams were damp too, which has only been an issue since we have had the cavity and loft insulation. It is as if moisture is being trapped in the loft!

I would be grateful if anyone with knowledge of insulation could give me any advice and a possible solution to prevent this from happening again. I have been thinking of removing the old insulation and just leaving the new, would this help?

Many many thanks for any feeback regarding this matter.
escapee

Sponsored Links
Its most likely to be ventilation, as placing additional insulation over old is totally acceptable. Check that there is a gap around the edge of the loft and the insulation hasnt been stuffed down the cavity.

escapee said:
Is there such a thing as too much loft insulation, about 18 months ago we had a grant for cavity wall and loft insulation. The blokes that carried out the work placed the new loft insulation over the old and it now sits several inches over the rafters making it impossible to gain access to the loft as you cannot see the beams.
all the new home now have 300mm insulation and the owners are moaning they cannot put any storage in the loft but they are way round it.
This year I noticed small pools of water sat on some of the boxes I had wrapped in clingfilm for protection. Initially I was worried rain was somehow getting in, but upon investigating I found that the internal felt which support the roof tiles had lots of water droplets on and they were slowly dripping down. Also I noticed that the upper beams were damp too, which has only been an issue since we have had the cavity and loft insulation. It is as if moisture is being trapped in the loft!
Most likely to condensation from the roofing felt dripping down
I would be grateful if anyone with knowledge of insulation could give me any advice and a possible solution to prevent this from happening again.
As mentioned from above post, need to improve or add ventilation
I have been thinking of removing the old insulation and just leaving the new, would this help?
No it won't only by adding more air-flow movement eg soffit, wall, ridge tiles vent etc

ahh, Static beat me to it, must get a faster keyboard :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the feedback, I haven't been in the loft since it was reinsulated but I would imagine that they would have placed the insulation too close to the eaves causing a ventilation problem. I will have to investigate further and rectify if necessary.

One final query if I may, is there anything I can treat the timber with to help prevent any possibility of rot to the upper roof beams in the loft? The roof beams looked quite damp upon last inspection and although in the short term this shouldn't be an issue if there is a product I can paint on for added peace of mind I would sooner do that.

Thanks again!
escapee

You can treat loft timbers wiith Cuprinol Green; it is fairly difficult to get it into all the nooks and crannies once the roof is built. It is much more important to cure the damp, though. If you ever see woodlice, you have a problem, since they have to lay their eggs in damp places (they are evolved from a water-creature) and eat decaying wood.

masona said:
escapee said:
The roof beams looked quite damp upon last inspection
Can you take a picture?

OK I have done, to be honest the photo overexaggerates the damp a little, its only the centre beam coming towards the camera which looks overly damp now, fortunately no woodlice that I can see but a few cobwebs.

Photo here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/escapee/loft.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back