Too much tape?

Seen plenty of clauses covering workmanship and having the property correctly maintained.

WTF do you think we have public liability insurance? :rolleyes:

If a plumber's work results in property damage HIS insurance covers it. Or is that concept too difficult for you to understand?

Sponsored Links
Why would a household insurance policy cover someone else's liability you fool?

If I were to flood a customer's house, their insurance company claims on my insurance. . I don't have it they will pursue my company directly for costs.

That's how it works.

If a diyer floods his own home then the insurance company will be within their rights, no doubt, to refuse the claim on grounds of negligence. That would be down to the contract of which my last policy had a clause stating work should be done to the appropriate standard etc etc.

So are you telling me that you have seen a policy which enabled a household insurance company to reject an EAW claim because they thought a householder had carried out a repair or alteration?

You fool

Sponsored Links
No, you fool, you are misrepresenting what I wrote.

Read it again.

I've never seen a household insurance policy that says "we cover for damage caused by Escape of Water, but not if we think that plumbing repairs and alterations have been carried out to a poor standard, unless we think the poor work was done by a plumber, in which case we do cover it"

Has anybody else ever seen such a policy?

Well the policies patently do exist. Whether you have seen them or not is irrelevant, as is the vast majority of drivel you contribute to the plumbing Forum.

Could I respectfully suggest that you check with your own insurers

"If I do poor quality plumbing or electrical work in my home and it results in a flood or a fire, am I covered?"

edit:typo

Specifically if it was DIY, you say?

"I know it was a DIY job and reject the claim"

So a leaking joint that did not have PTFE gets paid and one with PTFE gets rejected?

Seriously?

I am looking at my home and contents policy now, and there is nothing like that. There is an exclusion for overflowing basins, sinks, baths left with the tap running; and for damage caused by lack or failure of sealant or grout. There is no exclusion for poor workmanship and ABSOLUTELY no exclusion for leaks caused by DIY work (or for PTFE tape). What does your policy say?

Even Dan has not been able to point out such a term in his sample policy.

All sorts of references to workmanship and unsuitable materials there, but frankly, the point has been made. You are boring.

Kindly go forth and multiply. :LOL:

Reply to JohnD

First point:

I'm not sure why you're feeling argumentative or, to put it more directly, bloody awkward but

a) I simply posted a comment made by a third party.

b) I didn't qualify the comment or post any view on it.

c) A quick search of the web came back with

"James Hillon Head, of home insurance at Co-operative Insurance, said: "Our advice is to make sure you have accidental damage cover in place for your buildings and contents. This will provide cover for any resultant damage you cause to your home – such as damage caused by leaking pipes."

which seems to suggest that you are not automatically covered for damage caused by yourself.

d) Why should an insurance company cover you for your own inability to competently carry out repairs?

And further searches show that

Prudential insurance - optional extra to cover DIY damage
Co-op - optional extra as above

And this from confused.com

"DIY damage

Checking your home insurance policy conditions before undertaking any work is always a good idea. You may need protection under both buildings and contents policies, depending on the particular job. If you’re unsure of the difference between buildings and contents insurance, take a look at our guides on buildings and contents insurance explained. Be aware that some plumbing and electrical work will not be covered if it’s completed by an amateur. "

I'm not sure why you're feeling argumentative or, to put it more directly, bloody awkward

Because I was surprised by what you wrote, and wanted to know if anyone had seen a policy with such a term in it. Mine doesn't. I have had an insurance claim for an EOW and I have read the relevant terms.

Insurance for DIY damage usually refers to people who go knocking down walls and chimneybreasts, or cutting through loft timbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back