Tool for breaking up Concrete

Soon I need to cut a channel in a concrete path along side my house - probably only about 4m long max, and only 1 course deep - the path has been built up above dpc over the years.

Would my small SDS drill (Katsu!) do the job with enough perseverance, or should I get a bigger one? My concern for bigger is it being right against the wall, so I am guessing better to take it slow and gentle ...

Wouldn't you get a cleaner finish if you run a 9" angle grinder along the perimeter first?

Sponsored Links
Probably, but I don't have one, and cannot afford to hire one. Although, maybe a mate has one....

Titan- I have their diamond wall chaser. I needed it for a small job at home (our walls are rendered). It only cost about £70 but I now wish that I had paid about £200 for a machine that was better balanced. It really is hard work to use.

In the main, if I want a reliable tool that I plan to use frequently I avoid the likes of Titan, Silverline, Erbauer, etc, but if you are only planning to use them domestically then they are adequate.

Probably, but I don't have one, and cannot afford to hire one. Although, maybe a mate has one....

You are looking at 2 to 3" depth of cut with a 9" grinder. It might not be enough to cut all of the way through but once you use the breaker it should give you a cleaner finish.

What do you plan to do? Backfill with gravel?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you've made 3 warranty claims, or spent £400?
I have 3 of them and I've had 4 replacements, they sit in the back of each van.
I've also got one waiting to go back as someone pulled the handle off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back