Tool to get a perfect cut along a long piece of timber? Circular saw attachment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching a video (this one:
) building a garden gate out of T&G wood.

I'll be needing to whip off the T&G at either end & this chap called it a 'rip fence'.

I googled that & got all manner of results but nothing for a circular saw.

I googled some more & found this https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/saw-attachments/p79/rip-cuttrade/ but it's in foreign money.

The lengths of the pieces are 1.8mtr. I'm sure good 'old skool' 'it-be-reet' people would say just go with a handsaw but i can't saw straight to save my life.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could link me up to something (English money) that i could get for the job.

If it helps then for tool shops & the like round here we only have a B&Q & a Screwfix. If neither of those stores has anything then i'll have to order it in but just so long as i know what to get. Thanks.

Oh & if it helps any, the circular saw i have is a Draper one. Not sure what model since i got it given.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your hand circular saw has a fence fitted, you should be fine with that if you can clamp the timber down as you work, but a bench or table circular saw will probably be better.
John :)

Unfortunately i'll have to go with a hand saw i think since i've ballsed this up by gluing & clamping the majority of the T&G together & i can't get a gate that size in the car to get to the table saw at my mothers.

Just checked & the circular saw i have doesn't have a guide. I can see the slot where it would go, so either it never came with one or they lost it before giving me it.

Alternatively i suppose i could get a handyman round with his own equipment which would be cheaper than buying in a saw. I'd have rather have made it myself but like with most things DIY i've found a way to balls it up - hence my name.

Sponsored Links
What you looking for is called a 'Fence'.

But for what you wish to do I recommend you use a 'straight edge'. When you have made the gate up

Obtain a peice of timber with a known good staright side to it. Measure the distance from the edge of the saw blade to the side of the saw 'sole' (the flate plate at the bottom). clamp the straight edge to the made up gate the distance you just measured from the saw.
Check there no nails, screws etc in the cutting line.
Make the cut by running the saw along the straight edge with the sole on the gate.

If you are narrowing the gate try to cut equal amounts of of both sides of the gate.

HTH's

Build a rip fence

It's a bit long this one but gives all the relevant info and it's dead easy!

Last edited:
See the
Unfortunately i'll have to go with a hand saw i think since i've ballsed this up by gluing & clamping the majority of the T&G together & i can't get a gate that size in the car to get to the table saw at my mothers.

Just checked & the circular saw i have doesn't have a guide. I can see the slot where it would go, so either it never came with one or they lost it before giving me it.

Alternatively i suppose i could get a handyman round with his own equipment which would be cheaper than buying in a saw. I'd have rather have made it myself but like with most things DIY i've found a way to balls it up - hence my name.

See the video I posted above - your circular saw will do fine!

Thanks for the help give. Much appreciated.

I was wondering whether leaving the tongue & the groove on each edge would be such a bad thing, since the width is pretty much perfect right now. I'd been told that it'd be ok but i should probably hinge the groove side & plane off the tongue as it'll possibly wind up damaged.

Then something i hadn't thought of while i was putting the T&G together - i followed the guide in the video i linked in the OP. In that he glues the T&G together & sash clamps them all up, all nice & snug (& then screws on the supports on the rear).

What i hadn't thought of when doing this is seasonal changes & the swelling of wood. So with it all glued up there's no room for movement.

So i may very well end up making another gate at some point if this one ends up popping off or whatever else may happen once the wood swells up & contracts etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back