Tools for Drilling Through Mild Steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a piece of 3mm thick mild steel that i need to drill 16 6mm holes through.

Tried earlier today with a hand drill and a drill bit that is new but maybe not the best of quality and im really struggling and havent even done 1 hole yet. I think im probably applying too much pressure plus im not doing it right i dont think.

So i plan to tackle it tomorrow or next weekend but want to get prepared first so that it doesnt take me all day.

Whats the best way to tackle this?
Pilot hole if so what size?
What sort of lubricant/coolant? Ive never done this before so what do I use aand how often do i apply?
What drill bits should i buy?
Do i use cutting paste or anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a centre punch to mark it, a smaller drill, say 2mm for a pilot hole, and a obv a 6mm drill. Get the speed right, it needs to be faster for smaller drill bits, (~4000rpm for 2mm and 1300rpm for 6mm). It doesn't have to be exact for it to work right, you can see the max speed of your drill and estimate from there how much to pull the trigger. Unless you have a fixed-speed drill, then sorry about that!

Nozzle

I drill loads of 6mm holes at work with my 18v cordless makita. Sometimes in 10mm think steel. Takes about a minute with no cutting paste or pilot hole. You have to apply abit of pressure I find. Also the drill needs to be turning the correct way if that isn't obvious.

Sponsored Links
Friend of mine works on oil rigs, and drills a lot. Also a keen home mechanic he occasionally finds* the drill bits from work are still in his pocket when he gets back home.. He gave me a couple and they are hands down the best drill bits I've ever used. Went through the 3mm mild steel my trailer was made of like it was butter.. Osborn was the brand, looked like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272330510279

*to his surprise, I'm sure

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks guys. Well it just goes to show that until you buy some quality tools you dont realise how poor your others are!

Went and got a few dewalt extreme 2 drill bits this morning and they cut through the steel like butter. Drilled all 16 holes in about 10-15 minutes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back