tools from america

Sponsored Links
Not personally, but I saw a picture the other day of some guy who bought tools from america. It had a plastic coating on it that said in big bold letters, MADE IN AMERICA, he removes the plastic cover and the metal body said, ye you guessed it, made in CHINA!! I think when it comes to tools, your always best seeing them in person, just so you can get a real feel for it.

This "made In" term can be very misleading (?)

i.e it is perfectly legal in the EU , to have a medical instrument ,scalpal for instance to be made in Pakistan but be embossed with "Made in Germany"
Providing the raw material i.e the stainless steel material was made in Germany !!

Made in ?? alot of it is misleading & in my op a con !!

Don't forget about delivery cost, VAT, import duty and some couriers charge to release imported items. I think this is an admin fee for them paying the VAT and duty.

Sponsored Links
has anyone bought tools from america
I have brought a few back with me - starting from mid 90s.
First time I brought back a brick hammer and a claw hammer (Estwing of course).
Had them in my 'carry-on'.
Got to check in over there and they took them off me (weapons) said they would wrap them and put them in hold.
I thought that was last I'd see of them- BUT- at manchester airport- there they came- riding along on carousel.
A few other things since then too.
However- last thing I bought from America was a marcrist diamond blade Bf850 350mm . I ordered it this very morning .
£20 cheaper than I can get one here (inc delivery).

Power tools a bit different though- mostly 110v. So I left them there at my pad :LOL: ;)

but what about the voltage,there seems to be a lot of mixed messages

Confused of sussex SOMEONE SORT IT OUT PLEASE

bought a worn drive circular saw. 110v works the same way 110 tools do here. i think the frequency or amps are differnet and the saw may run just a bit slower. but nothing you will notice.

It can be worth it it your not worried about a warranty. don't forget all the duty and shipping costs.

110v works the same way 110 tools do here.
It's totally different.

UK 110v is the equivalent of a pair of 55 volt supplies commoned to earth, so any shock will be 55v, which probably won't kill anyone.
USA is 110v to earth, which is more than capable of killing people.

The frequency is different, 60Hz there, 50Hz here. The result is that there will be a variety of problems depending on the type of motor. In any event, it will not work as intended, probably running 20% slower with little or no torque, and overheating and failing rather quickly.

The you have the issue of the tool being supplied with the wrong plug, and as the flex fitted to USA electrical items is total shyte in most instances, that would need to be replaced as well.

Spare parts and repairs - not going to happen either.

Sponsored Links
Back