Top Hole Screws

I've got one of the watch openers with 3 pins. As you say, too big. That one I've linked to goes down to 10mm, and it looks as if a bit of file work would make it fit smaller between centres. The pins could be ground down if needed in a drill chuck with a Dremel or similar.
I think you're looking at modding or making something rather than an off the shelf buy.

Sponsored Links
using a drill chuck like a lathe is a good idea. I suppose I could spin the pins against a file or a stone.

I picked the idea up from somewhere when I was a teenager. turned lots of small bits down that way. Obviously be careful about having handles on files and not catching sleeves or anything on the chuck etc.

Just to be a PIA there is a tool called an adjustable pin spanner which can do this job and years nacjk Belzer in Germany did quite a range with different sized pins. Of course Belzer are no more, although Snap-On did take over most of the hand tool side of the business when Sandvik divested themselves of the saws and hand toos business in 1999

Sponsored Links
I have some like that, but the holes are small and the screws are tight. My lens wrench (smallest spikes) bent when I tried. A lens wrench has two parallel legs that can be slid along crossbars for distance, and has a selection of tips of different sizes, so is equivalent to the "dividers" method. The legs and bars are fairly sturdy, but I need a stronger tool, and short pins so they are less liable to bend. The screws may have been done up very tightly, 70 years ago, with a friction grease that has now hardened. The screws are steel but I don't yet know what metal they go into.

I ordered an adjustable pin-spanner from Germany yesterday, it has 1.5mm pins so may fit some of the screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back