top of radiators are very hot but bottom cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since putting in a new boiler and thermostatic valves on my one pipe sytem central heating and flushing out the system twice, all radiators are very hot at the top but cold at the bottom. When the old non thermostatic valves are put on, all radiatora are hot, top and bottom. I would like to use thermostatic valves. Are there many types of valeves or is it a different problem?
Please help
thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah, this is useful. Thanks for posting this, I had never thought of the problem before.

Single pipe radiators get their heat from convection currents from the main pipe. This works reasonably well using manual valves. Thermostatic valves have much smaller passages than manual valves, and this may well be stopping the water circulating fast enough to heat the whole of the radiator.

Are your rooms getting warm enough? If so, is there a problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back