Top-up loft insulation - Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had our whole roof replaced and today had our visit from the council in respect of the work carried out and the insulation of our loft. We've been advised that before the work can be signed off that we need to top-up our loft insulation - we we're told we'd only need 2 rolls but our problem is half the loft floor is boarded. Is there any easier alternative so that we don't have to pull the boards up, because we're worried we won't be able to re-board and storage in our home is very limited.

Also, how would you insulate a hatch door?

Many thanks in advance for replies. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Surely building regs are not retrospective, replacing the roof is not creating a new loft. I know that it is difficult to argue with council jobsworths so it may be worth asking how much you need to insulate, how does the inspector know that you have not got high efficiency insulation under your boards!!

I've only just had a visit by a professional insulation company who have brought my loft insulation up to the new recommendations. My loft too was partially boarded and I use it for storage.

The insulation company advised they would simply lay the new insulation blanket on top of the boards and, subsequently, if I wished to use the loft for storage I should put my boxes on top of the insulation blanket, or pull it back to reveal the boards. They laid the insulation blanket, and issued me with a certificate confirming that the loft complied with the new Part L regs and the work had been carried out professionally.

As for the loft hatch, they cut a piece of 200mm insulation blanket to fit and then stapled it onto the back of the hatch underneath a sheet of polythene. Simple enough!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back