Torqueless Parkside cordless angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was given a cordless Parkside angle grinder (new) about a year ago, and hadn't used it until recently. It seems to have very little torque and will quite easily get bogged down in thin metal (i am using the correct disc btw), to the point where I can apply no pressure, and sometimes have to wait a while because it's power cut-out has kicked in. Is this usual? And can it be rectified (I cannot return the tool as the receipt hasn't been kept). My old cheap generic mains grinder would go through stuff (such as rebar) like the proverbial hot knife...

Sponsored Links
Battery isn't goosed it's just a pile of junk. I have a cordless Hawk. The battery lasts about five minutes then stops every so often. leave it a second or two to build up again and away it goes for another few seconds. It works okay on a fully charged battery for about five minutes. The cheap battery powered tools are, generally, rubbish and the expensive ones only sell bare tools and then scam you for another hundred quid for a battery. And what nanny idiot decided to fit non lock power switches? Trying to hold the switch on whilst cutting is highly dangerous. Oh yeah Hawk and Parkside are about as cheap as they come. If I have any heavy duty grinding or cutting to do I use my mains powered grinder with a locking power switch.

If your goods are faulty and you don't have the receipt, you still have the right to a repair, refund or replacement as under the Consumer Rights Act.

Sponsored Links
They cannot deny it was bought from them as its their own brand.
take a copy of your bank statement with the account numbers and other stuff blocked out.

They cannot deny it was bought from them as its their own brand.
Halfords tried that one with me over a Halfords Professional ratchet spanner. They insisted that I should produce a receipt for a product that had a lifetime warranty and their name stamped on it. Eventually, I was able to convince them that it was their product and because it was guaranteed for life, it didn't matter how long I'd had it.

The only cordless angle grinder I've used that doesn't just stop when it touched the material was DeWalts 18/54 volt grinder, I've chased out with it, cut bricks and blocks, cut through unistrut, flattened welds with flap discs, it just keeps spinning

Ok you buy what you can afford but also you get what you pay for, there may be a reason you were given it

If on a budget, buy corded tools.
Cordless are for professionals who use them everyday and invest a good budget into their tools.

iff we assume say 500w consumption and a say a 2ah battery thats about 4 mins run time [18x2x60 2160 w]

I use a brushed Makita 18 volt cordless angle grinder. It has enough torque for small, short duration jobs but but the battery life even on 5Ah batteries is measured in minutes, as someone else has stated. It can bog down and even stall if pushed too hard, but it doesn't sound zs bad as the OP's tool. Despite all that, it has its" uses when I'm doing small cutting jobs and so is a useful bit of kit for me. I just don't expect it to do long duration or heavy jobs

I did look at the Lidl cordless grinder but the blades are not the std 125mm that we have at work so getting one would mean buying additional expensive blades (I wanted it for at work for occasional DIN rail cutting etc.).

I'm glad I didnt bother now.

Edit: A video showing it in action (or not as it seems).

Last edited:
We used Metabo where I used to work and one day the boss was going to toss it out because it kept stalling even on a full charge battery.
I said I would have a quick look and removed the carbon brushes. The commutator was packed with carbon dust! A quick blow out with an airline, touch up the brushes on a fine piece of emery cloth and it was as good as new. Sadly he wouldn't let me keep it for myself and put it back in the rack. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back