Touch dimmer wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a look throught the wiki and searched the forum but have not been able to find an answer to this problem. Have learned a lot in the process though, so many thanks!

I have a double touch dimmer which I would like to use to dim/switch one lighting circuit. Each dimmer is rated at 500W.

There are 4 terminals only in the dimmer, marked L1 and L2 on each of the two dimmer blocks. There is no C connection to be seen. The instructions which came with the unit box show a single dimmer with the Live connected to L1 and the load to L2, but do not show how to connect the double version of the switch which I have.

In the switch box there are three visible wires in the cable from the light - Red, Black and an earth. I've tried connecting the black and red to one of the dimmers and all that happens is one of the two led's comes on but the unit does not switch or dim.

Do I need to link the two dimmers together somehow?

Any/all advice most gratefully received. Many thanks. Roger Ward

Sponsored Links
try reversing the black and red.. it may need the permanent live on the other terminal..

if that fails, make sure you have the wires on only one dimmer module, and not one wire on each.. ( I know that's an idiotic answer, but you'd be surprised how many idiots there are out there.:) )

if it still doesn't light, try the other module on the dimmer.. you may have a faulty moduld..

you may also have bought a slave unit that connects to a master.. but that's doubtfull..

Thanks - I'll give that a go. I'd still quite like to make both dimmers connected if possible. Would that work if I just connected them in parallel, ie L1 to L1 and Live, plus L2 to L2 and return?

Could be a faulty switch. The red LED means the unit is wired correctly (it's so you can find it in the dark), then when you touch the switch to turn the light on the LED should go off and the light fade up.

I take it you calibrated it when you'd connected it and applied power (your instructions should tell you if this is needed and how)?

Why didn't you just buy a single way switch if you only had one circuit to control? Then you could touch anywhere on the switch, rather than just half of it to control the light...

Sponsored Links
Could be a faulty switch. The red LED means the unit is wired correctly (it's so you can find it in the dark), then when you touch the switch to turn the light on the LED should go off and the light fade up.

I take it you calibrated it when you'd connected it and applied power (your instructions should tell you if this is needed and how)?

Why didn't you just buy a single way switch if you only had one circuit to control? Then you could touch anywhere on the switch, rather than just half of it to control the light...

Actually they are blue led's, not that it matters.

Nothing in the instructions about calibrating it. And the seller indicated the whole switch could be used to control one light, so I believed him. He has since not replied to emails asking how to do this. I think I'll risk trying the two in parallel if I can get one to work.

For info and in case it helps someone else. Reversed the red/black in the switch socket as suggested by ColJack and one dimmer worked ok. Tried same combination in other dimmer - again ok. Finally parallelled up the two dimmers (i.e. Live to L1,L1 and return to L2 L2). Both dimmers LED's light up and both dim/switch. So far. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back